General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Suddenly working OSX will not boot! - 04-21-2009, 12:40 AM

I've used this Dell Mini for 4 weeks with no issues. Suddenly tonight, things in Safari got really slow (likely unrelated) so I quit the app and choose restart from the Apple menu. Stepped away and came back to a black screen but with the operation light ON. Waited a short bit, nothing ever happened. So I push the power button to see if it was asleep, trying to wake up. Nothing. Held down the power key until reboot. Now it continues to only say "no operating system found". I've rebooted many times to the same thing. I've booted into the PC set up menu - the HD was set to the top of the list and USB legacy was DISabled. Same result. I booted from a CD Hackintosh bootloader disk, then swapped to my OSX install disk. Got to the install screen - it will not show the internal SSD as a drive for re-install of the OS. Then into disk utility app, the SSD does show but I can not run repair or verify, seems to be an option to format/partition... but I'd like to not loose all my data.

Any thoughts?

Has this happened to anyone else?

(#2) Old
Default Re: Suddenly working OSX will not boot! - 04-21-2009, 03:11 AM

It sounds to me like the SSD has flaked out. What brand is it?

If the only option is to reformat then that's what I'd try. Yes, you will lose everything that was on the drive, but it's not doing you much good as it is now if you can't boot up the OS.

If Disk Utility is unable to create a new partition on the SSD, then it would be safe to assume that it's dead. Hopefully you had all of the important stuff backed up. A hard drive failure is a terrible thing to have to endure, but it happens to everyone once in a while.

Backup backup backup!

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Suddenly working OSX will not boot! - 04-21-2009, 05:01 AM

Suppose I'll try to re-partition and reinstall OS X.

It is a Super Talent 32gb SSD.

couple of other clues - all has been fine for 3 weeks. Only new things:

1. This weekend I installed Photoshop from CS3 and Microsoft Office 08 - they both took a long time to install but seemed to run fine in the end.

2. I had a Kingston 16GB SDHC card mounted in the card reader slot (same issue with the card removed)

3. Also using a spare (new) battery that I got from ebay, import model - not dell branded. Funny, other Dell Minis that I've set up would flash the battery light and say that it could not recognize the non dell battery. But my keeper Mini (that is now not seeing the OS) never responded badly to the battery, it just charged and worked fine, again, may be unrelated. But I wanted to put it all out there in case others have input on this.

Anymore feedback on what could have suddenly caused MAC OS X to disappear to my Mini? When the SSD seems to be fine...

« vertical lines accross screen in safari | Most basic of basic questions »