General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Static Noise aka dellefi 1.1 problems aka total noobness - 04-18-2009, 06:27 AM

So I went to run dellefi 1.1 and it asked me if i wanted to remove the old dsdt.aml file and reboot, the instructions said yes so i said yes and it rebooted. then when it rebooted i thought it was done.
so i went online and started watching videos and the noise was all staticy and gross. so i came on the forums and checked but didnt find anything useful. so i thought maybe ill run the dellefi again.
turns out i didnt actually run it in the first place. its actually in the instructions but it just isnt very clear.

i think people that are having problems may be doing exactly what i did.
they run dellefi, the window pops up they say yes, then it reboots and they think its done.
actually it does state in the instructions (although not very clearly) that this is simply preparation for the installation.
after removing the dsdt.aml file and rebooting you then need to go in and actually run dellefi which was not done in the first place.

im still a noob so i may be wrong. but it fixed the problem for me. and what other people are describing sounds very similar. its probably in another thread but i thought id start a new one so that its easier to find for fellow noobs.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Static Noise aka dellefi 1.1 problems aka total noobness - 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joey Ostos
so i came on the forums and checked but didnt find anything useful.
you will a statement here ( that the current belief is the noise problem occurs in such a small number of cases that it's not worth fixing. it only happens on certain machines, and it can happen unpredictably.

the bottom line is if you have a machine that does this, then get suspend working. when you hear the sound, close the lid, count to 10, open it, and it will be gone until you reboot.

my mini has the problem, it is an initialization problem. it is easy to control, just think of it as mini herpes.

White Mini 9 | OSX 10.5.8 | A04 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB | 64GB RunCore Pro IV | 32GB C6 Transcend | 1.3Mpix | MDD extended battery | OEM BT | Fusion 2.0.4 | 1505 Draft-N

Problems with external displays or projectors in OS X? Try MirrorDisplays2!
Got Static?

« Installing direct to a Runcore | Opinions on iWork and iLife? »