General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Unhappy osx installation with a mac - 04-18-2009, 05:46 AM

Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a long time but this is my first post.
I bought my Mini brand new from a guy on Craigslist. It came installed with OSX. I don't have a retail copy of OSX but have ordered one off of eBay.
I came across the below post...

Re: Installing from a Mac feasibility?
by b0redom on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:50 pm

In case anyone is interested, and they have a Runcore drive, there's an even simpler way to install OSX. I've just done it.

Connect your new Runcore drive to the USB port on a proper Mac (I have a MacBook handy)
Boot up the MacBook holding 'c' with the install DVD in there (I used a MacBook restore one while I'm waiting for the retail one to arrive)
Install OSX to the RunCore drive
Put the RunCore drive into your Dell

You'll also need a USB bootable flash disk with the DellEFI and DellMiniBoot mentioned here:

I booted from the USB drive and straight on to the runcore, ran the DFI installer app, rebooted (took a few mins for the updates to finish) and that's it. 100% working.

A few questions...
1. I would like to reinstall a fresh copy of OSX. Can I actually do this with my restore discs that came with one of my other Macs? I would rather get the process under way instead of waiting for the mailman to bring my OSX from eBay.
2. It says above to "boot from the USB drive and straight onto the RunCore". What does that mean and how do I do it? (total noob here)

I haven't seen many people taking about this type of method (even with a retail disc) and I'm wondering if it is 100% (not doubting your work b0redom, just double checking). I also didn't see it in the how-to stickies.

Any comments and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Great forum by the way. Little to no flaming, very helpful, great ideas and attitudes. Makes for a very enjoyable experience. Thanks.

d s a s
  (#2) Old
Default Re: osx installation with a mac - 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM

Yes, I've installed OSX from my OEM restore disk that came with my Mac Pro.

What you need to do is to run the OEM disk from the Mac that it came with, and install a fresh copy onto a Runcore SSD via a USB cable or any flash card via a USB reader.

Now you have a bootable copy of OSX on a flash card or SSD. All you need is the bootloader. You will need syslinux for that.

Grab another USB flash drive and install syslinux and DellMiniBoot123v8.01 on it.

If you have a Runcore SSD (now has the OSX on it), install your the Runcore SSD into the Mini-9. And boot from the syslinux flash drive, and follow the install instructions for DellMiniBoot123v8.01.

If you don't have the Runcore SSD, you'll need to manually copy the OSX image off the flash card and onto the Dell SSD. You can use CCC or Disk Uility for that. Once the OSX image is on the Dell SSD, continue with the syslinux and DellMiniBoot123v8.01 instructions.

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#3) Old
Default Re: osx installation with a mac - 04-23-2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks. I'll give this a try.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: osx installation with a mac - 04-23-2009, 06:11 AM

Whoa whoa whoa! It's far easier than that!

There's a great guide for installing OS X directly onto a RunCore SSD from a Mac. It's been unofficially confirmed to work by a bunch of people in that thread, so go check it out! Way easier than using DellMiniBoot.

Also, I wouldn't recommend installing off of a Restore disk. They're not designed for that, and you may see errors. I'm surprised the previous poster was able to get it working at all, they're usually very unhappy in other systems. I'd wait for the retail disk, but that's just my 2 cents.

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB CAS3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 64 GB RunCore SSD | BIOS A04 | BlueTooth | 1.3MP Webcam

« Boot132 - First 10.5.6, then DellEFI1.1 ? | HELP! How do I reset "Display" mirror setting »