General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Restore Macbook Backup to Mini - 04-18-2009, 12:22 AM

I'm a quasi newbie, having hackintoshed a MSI Wind, but never a Mini 9. I just got a Mini and plan on installing OSx on it this weekend. My question is this:

If I perform the hack and load OSX, incl. all applicable kexts, can I then restore a backup cloned from my Macbook? I want to do this so the contents of my Mini will be identical to my Macbook and I don't have to install my apps/settings one by one on the Mini. Drive space isn't an issue. My concern is whether the effect of the kexts will be wiped out if I do this. Any other issues that I might have?

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Restore Macbook Backup to Mini - 04-18-2009, 02:19 AM

I'm far from an expert, but you may be more successful restoring from TimeMachine than a clone such as from SuperDuper. My experience with Migration Assistant is that some passwords need to be re-entered but overall it works well. But, I never could restore to my Mini because I only have a 32GB SSD and my MacBook has around 100GB used of a 250GB HD.

Someone else smarter than I may be able to tell you if you can restore from a clone drive, and then install DellEFI and be fine. That would be ideal for you I'd guess.

« OSX Install: MAC PPC G4 & mechdrew DellEFI USB Method ok? | Bluetooth and external belkin adapter still disabled »