General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Simpler walkthrough for dual boot (OS X and WinXP) install? - 04-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Has anyone seen a simpler walkthrough on doing a dual boot (OS X and Win XP) on a mini? Preferably one that uses an external USB DVD drive (but I do have a 32GB USB flash drive if needed). I have seen only a few here but they are so long and tweaked it is hard to tell what the final step-by-step process is. I currently have a Minitosh, and I used the gizmodo article for the install process--was not too hard to follow (but they forgot to mention a few keystrokes). I tried running VMware Fusion but it is slow and requires me to re-activate the windows license so I think a dual-boot solution would be better.

Is the woohoo post here on the forums the best guide available? It seems decent but assumes a lot of PC knowledge.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Simpler walkthrough for dual boot (OS X and WinXP) install? - 04-17-2009, 12:41 AM

The major problem with just installing a dual boot with OS X off dvd is that the DVD does not allow for installing to an MBR disk. The MAC install dvd will only allow installing to GUID.

Windows will only install to an mbr disk. wont install to guid.

so basically you have to make a custom dvd image that will install on an MBR disk.

At least thats my interpritation of it, someone correct me if i am wrong?

« Upgrade bios on orig 8gb xp ssd then swap in new SSD? | Newbie help - 8GB ssd OSX install »