General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Post Can I put OS on SD card? - 04-16-2009, 02:05 AM

I have a mini 9. I would like to install OSs on 16gb SD cards and use the internal 64GB SSD for data of all of them. Please help me! Thank You!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Can I put OS on SD card? - 04-16-2009, 02:12 AM

Yeah, I read in the tutorials that you can, but only for your disk image, not the boot disk. For that you'll need to use a flash drive or external CD drive. I myself however, have not tried it.

Mini 9 -- 16GB/1GB/OS X
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: Can I put OS on SD card? - 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM

You cannot boot from the SD reader because it's not a USB mass storage device -- it needs special drivers. That's lame, because the idea of booting several OSes by swapping cards is a really cool idea. Kind of a throwback to the 1980s with floppy disks. You can do it with USB flash drives, but of course then you have a nonremovable thingy sticking out of your laptop. You can also install OSes on the SSD and multiboot, then keep your data on a big SD card, but that's less elegant.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Can I put OS on SD card? - 04-18-2009, 07:18 PM

Although it is not simple there is a way to actually boot from an SD card. You can either

1) Use a USB card reader... (USB devices are seen by the bios as bootable devices...)
2) Or add additional modules to the kernel of your OS (with linux it would be easier I guess) and use grub to boot.

If you are still interested and know how to mess around with your OS here is a post where I discuss the details for two linux distros... and soon I hope to be able to dual boot windows and ubuntu (windows installed in the internal SSD drive an ubuntu from the slot reader)

p.s. And yeah.... stop crossposting (like me I guess)

================================================== ==
Mini Dell 9. 2Gb Ram. 4Gb SSD.
Running: Ubuntu Hardy, Intrepid and Puppy Linux 4.12 retro.
================================================== ==

« OS X Choppy Audio | OS X Photoshop Elements 6 Screen Res. »