General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default USB Key to boot USB DVD - does our mobo prevent it? - 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM

I've been trying to turn a 64MB USB key I have into a Chameleon 2.0 boot key for installing OS X from an external DVD drive. I have successfully installed from this USB DVD before, but I had used the Boot132 image to create a boot CD, then swapped in the DVD. I can get Chameleon booting just fine from the USB key (using the same Extras folder as bmaltais' recent bootmaker) but when I boot from it, it only shows the partitions on the key and my internal SSD as boot options. I'm trying to figure out if this is a failing of my USB DVD drive, of Chameleon, or if our BIOS somehow doesn't always report USB optical drives.

Any thoughts?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: USB Key to boot USB DVD - does our mobo prevent it? - 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM

This may be an obvious question but did you try device 9f, that is supposed to be the external cd/dvd. Check the beginning of the installing osx thread.

Pete B.
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default Re: USB Key to boot USB DVD - does our mobo prevent it? - 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Probably adding the option to rescan once booted might help. To do this edit the file in the Extra folder and add this to it:

Rescan Prompt
This should allow to find the external USB key. When the bootloader ask you for rescan, press any key (not ENTER). Go to Boot options (f8), then choose your partition.

Dell Mini 9
OS X 10.5.6

« Need help getting a partition problem sorted out :( | Used Mini - no wifi under X - card switched? »