General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Can't install apps/make changes b/c of password - 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM

I installed OSX on another mini for a friend of mines. Everything went well (i've done this multipe times) and it got to the registration screen. I put in the name of the person whom it belonged to and left the password blank (as I always do) and hit continue. I ran DellEFI and the box popped up but since I didn't set a password I would just hit ENTER to bypass and continue installation. I'm hearing from him that he can't install things because of the password. He says there's an extra character in his name but I'm sure I did it right because I installed 1 other program when I was doing the install.

Any ideas on diagnosing the problem. I don't have it with me and I'm communicating with him via email. Thanks.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to Carlos Send a message via Yahoo to Carlos
Default Re: Can't install apps/make changes b/c of password - 04-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Have him boot from an OS X DVD or USB stick with the installer imaged to it. At the language screen have him go to the top menu and there should be a "reset password" option. He can select his login name and reset the admin password for that log in.

« Does Mac OS detect the CPU's HyperThreading capabilities? | Ethernet cable detection after installing Trackpad kext »