General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Did DellEFI somehow disable or really shrink swapfile? - 04-12-2009, 12:50 AM

iStat Pro tells me 0MB/64MB swap is in use. Is it confused or is this actually the case?

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB SuperTalent SSD, no camera, Dell OEM Bluetooth
Running OS X 10.6.2, 100% functional thanks to 0.8.3 Final.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Did DellEFI somehow disable or really shrink swapfile? - 04-12-2009, 04:37 AM

The Mini's don't report proper information to iStat.

iStat was actually found to be the cause of many hangs after sleep due to iStat attempting to read non-existant information on wake.

I would recommend removing iStat if you use the sleep feature at all.

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: Did DellEFI somehow disable or really shrink swapfile? - 04-13-2009, 03:13 PM

OS X uses dynamically-allocated swap files. Upon booting, there's one empty 64 MB swap file. If you fill up your RAM, it will start swapping out and allocate more files as necessary. When you free RAM and data is swapped back in, the system deletes empty swap files.

Incidentally, OS X is a bit too aggressive in swapping "unused" data out before the RAM is even remotely full, apparently preferring free RAM for file cache. I find that this behavior slows my system when running several virtual machines or manipulating huge data files, even though my main system has 4 GB of RAM. It seems to annoy others as well. This guy hacked dynamic_pager to use only the single 64 MB swap file, so swap is effectively disabled. I've been running it for a long time and I can say that my system is a lot more responsive. Keep in mind, though, that if you actually do run out of RAM, the system will freak. I haven't seen that yet, because 4 GB is enough for everything I do.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera

« "Do not transfer my information now" just resets | Slow BT mouse detection »