General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Make OSX image with 2nd Mini 9? Or USB drive and PPC G4? - 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Great Forum!
I bought 2 Mini 9s, UBUNTU loaded: one with 32HDD; the other 16HDD heavily discounted.

Idiotic question (probably) from a NEWBIE:

1) If I install Leopard 10.5.6 using the Forum's method, can I switch drives and expect it to work on the other? Does it reside on the HDD even when out of the Dell?

Less idiotic question:

2) I have PPC G4s, but no Windows. Should I do the image on the PPC G4? Do the two USB thumb drives (I have a 32 GB and a 1 GB)

Or is it better to do it on the Dell UBUNTU?

I will have one machine in 4 days; the second in a week.

Thanks all of you for the fascinating forum! I just bought Ubuntu For Non-Geeks: a Pain-Free, Project-Based, Get-Things-Done Guidebook in order to learn some basics.

Thanks cas
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Make OSX image with 2nd Mini 9? Or USB drive and PPC G4? - 04-10-2009, 10:58 PM

Since you have access to a Mac but not any Windows machines, I would suggest using bmaltais' BellEFIBootmaker on your PPC G4 to create a bootable USB installation drive for your minis. It will involve plugging the drive into your G4, partitioning it into two partitions in Disk Utility, then running the DellEFIBootmaker, then finally copying the OS X install image to the second partition. There are good instructions in the thread, see here:

Once you've created your USB key you can use it to install OS X to one or both of your minis, and yes, if you install OS X onto one mini, then swap the SSD into another mini, the OS X installation will go with it (it resides entirely on the SSD).
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Make OSX image with 2nd Mini 9? Or USB drive and PPC G4? - 04-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Having played with all 3 of the popular OSes I choose OSX over all else

If you plan on installing OSX 10.5.6 you need to know the following things:

The number one thing is do you have a license for each proposed installation?
Unless you have the Family Pack (Licensed for 5 users in the same household) you must have 1 OS X DVD per installation.

The easiest way to install OSX is with an external DVD providing you have the OSX DVD
The files used for a PPC are not the same as the Intel based machine.

I hope this gives you some direction

Mini 9 MacBook Aspen White
Runcore 64GB | 2GB RAM | ATP 16GB C6 SDHC | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | OSX 10.5.6 | Fusion w/Windows XP | CrossOver | DellEFI 1.2A5 | BIOS A04 | 77Whr Battery

Will install OSX for Food

« Disable screen cloning | Going back to DellEFI 1.0.7 after having updated it to 1.1? »