General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default A helpful TransMac Note - 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Short version: You need the full version of TransMac to write images to external hard (which count as fixed, not flash) drives. It's disabled in the trial version.

Long version: Hey there MyDellMini, realise I'm an absolute baby on here, but do feel I'm quite good with computers. Just got my lovely little UK Dell Mini 9, and love it to bits. Just needs OSX now. And there is where I've been falling down. I bought myself a retail DVD of Leopard (which arrived FAR faster than the netbook itself ironically, damn posties!! :P) and failed miserably at the guide, after finding my USB stick was only 7.5GB formatted. As the OSXDVD & image way didn't work for me, I waited till I got to my parents' house, and resurrected my old USB hard drive. Installing the TransMac trial on their PC, I tried desperately to write the newly created image of my leopard disk to the hard drive, and failed again. So here's my tip of how to do it:

Buy the full version. :P

To all those people who have been fretting at not being able to write to their external hard drives (NOT USB flash disks) this is because if, like me, you just merrily skipped over the trial screen, happily enjoying your 30 days, you would have missed that fixed disk writing is disabled in the trial.

So, cracking open the purse again, moths fluttering somewhat, I invested in full Transmac. Success. So sadly, for us folks who aren't quite big enough in the flash drive department, it's a full copy of TransMac thats needed to get our Leopard fix (or getting OSXDVD to work...).

(#2) Old
Default Re: A helpful TransMac Note - 04-09-2009, 06:49 PM

I installed osx on my mini using a trial version of transmac to generate an image of the leopard disk, which was then written to an external usb hard disk using transmac...

so unless they've released a different trial version since I did it, which was about a month ago, it worked when I tried it.

did have problems creating a 8GB usb flash version of the install disk from windows with transmac, however on initial boot into the osx install I was able to use diskutility within the install process to create a usb flash version using the restore image option which makes a copy that fits on the disk.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB STEC SSD | BIOS A05 | Bluetooth: off | DellEFI 1.1

« Wifi fix using Ubuntu live CD? | Unable to boot from USB device »