General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default partial success using o2 connection manager mac - 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM

OK so I have the vodafone uk version of the mini 9 (which comes with the dell 5530 HSPA WWAN modem built in) upgraded to 2GB of RAM and a 64GB runcore with 10.5.6 installed. i still have the 8gb ssd with windows on it which can be easily installed for testing.

Anyway, I can't get the WWAN to work, the mac os spots it, i install the dell mobile connect script shown elsewhere and follow the instructions but it just wont connect. it starts to connect then disconnects and tells me to check my settings. so i started looking around for alternatives. I discovered that the o2 connection manager mac: ... works on the dell mini hackintosh. It recognises the card shows signal strength , but it says net: sim not allowed. this is what is weird, i know the card is not locked. Under windows it works with my voda or o2 sims. also strangely if i put the software into wlan mode instead of GSM/UMTS then it will allow me to access the SIM address book and messages so the software is definately talking to the hardware.

Any ideas?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: partial success using o2 connection manager mac - 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM

hi ErikUK,

did you fix it somehow?

i have no sollution for you, but i have also some experiences with the o2 connection manager for mac.

as you, i installed the dell mobile connect script shown elsewhere and could see some changing, but wasn't able to get wwan to work.
at least the network prefpane showed me the dell 5530 card twice.
after running the connection manager (think it worked with the 'manage vpn' button) the network prefpane showed up with a new modem connection called: 'conn_manager-1'.

now the experience ;-) :
when i run the connection manager it won't find the o2 net, and asks me twice my sim-card pin (oh, first i have to confirm i use an 'unknown phone', then it asks for the pin and some seconds later a window pops up again telling the pin was wrong (first try of three) but this time it accepts it.)
now i try to connect the dell card directly via network won't work...but now, the connection manager detects the o2 network - if not i restart the connection manager and then it finds the o2 network!

i think there might be only some configurations messed up, but as it works great after these starting issues i didn't change something jet.

so in my case it does not show 'sim not allowed' but just 'searching' until i preconnect...

and by the way...i'm in germany, using a sim with a prepaid o2 deal, a dell 5530 wwan card ordered from ireland on a refurbished dell mini from the uk, once sold by vodafone (ore at least it had the vodafone sticker) and it is running 10.5.6 and bios A04.

greez rob

« Sound Issue - I may have found something new. | What Car power adpater for Dell Mini w/OSX? »