General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Spaces and performance? - 04-05-2009, 09:10 AM

Hey everyone... for those of you using Spaces, has anyone noticed a decrease in system performance? I'm currently using two Spaces, but would like to increase to the typical four, but was curious if having that many Spaces enabled would decrease system performance... with two it seems to run perfectly normal.. any thoughts?

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Spaces and performance? - 04-05-2009, 09:41 AM

I use 4 spaces, although not particularly heavy. Normally just running terminal (a few) in one, firefox and whathaveyou in another, and then whatever else I want in the other 2.

As I said this isn't a big workload, so I just tried running VLC twice in spaces 3 and 4, it was alright, firefox was still fine - although I wouldn't trust it with anything that needs a lot of CPU.

Geektool (if you're using it) seems to take up quite a lot of processing power, however.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Spaces and performance? - 04-05-2009, 11:07 AM

The spaces alone really don't take any resources from your Mini. It all depends on the programs you run in them.

« Need some help installing on 8GB SDD (62.2 MB short!!!) | SilverLight thinks it's PowerPC and stops installation! »