General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default OEM, Retail & EULA? - 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM

I read you need a retail version of OSX to install Leopard on a Dell Mini 9. Is that a hardware/software problem or just because it violates (even more) the OSX Eula?
AFAIK using a retail version is not completely legal as it can only be used on apple hardware.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: OEM, Retail & EULA? - 04-01-2009, 11:35 AM

I personally see it as more of a gesture to apple than anything else. I bought a retail version from amazon UK for £80 and I'm pretty happy with that.

I believe also that the license doesn't allow installation of OSX on non-apple hardware, but frankly I've paid for it and I'll do what I want with it. I could have downloaded it from a torrent site, but Apple have £80 of my money they wouldn't have had otherwise, and I have the OS I wanted without the over-priced hardware to go with it. After all, OSX has bootcamp for Apple computers and you can install windows for example, so I and many others are just reversing this to suit them not some big corporation. Also, this site does not condone piracy.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: OEM, Retail & EULA? - 04-01-2009, 02:37 PM

only retail works for software reasons. The oem is designed to only work on the computer it came with. and yes, technically it does violate the EULA to install on non apple hardware, but I'm not too big on EULAs to begin with. Many times, they have text which is not even legal for them to include. If you paid for it, do as you please (short of distributing it to someone else)
  (#4) Old
Default Re: OEM, Retail & EULA? - 04-01-2009, 02:47 PM

We focus on using the retail version because that keeps us more on the side of not being labeled as pirates since we're paying for the license we put on the Mini which you're not doing if you use your existing restore disc that came with your Mac. Yes, we're still violating the EULA but we're also not stealing money from Apple in the process. 8-)

But, others have explained that Apple specifically tweaks the DVD that comes with each system to make the install hardware / system specific. No one has proven this but it could explain why many people have had issues with attempting to install using an OEM disc.

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.6 | 64GB STEC SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth : [disabled] | USB BIOS Legacy support : [Disabled] | BIOS A04 | DellEFI Version: 1.1

« Booting with Correct Resolution | CADIE not working on my Mini OSX »