General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Unhappy OSX Leopard on 8GB SSD Mini 9 - 03-30-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi all,

I've been scouring these topics and I am confused with all the posts. Simple, I want to install Leopard 10.5 ( with original disk) on my Mini 9, but I only have a 8 GB SSD. I tried, with the method from user Type 11, but just not enough room for install to proceed. What do I do? Thanks community!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: OSX Leopard on 8GB SSD Mini 9 - 03-30-2009, 10:47 AM

First, you read through the guide by mechdrew over and over and over again: how-to-install-mac-os-x-dellefi-method-t3925.html

Since you have a 10.5 disc you can follow the brief instructions here: much-easier-installation-of-os-x-on-an-8gb-ssd-t2715.html

You will need to read through both guides completely, as the one for the 8GB install assumes complete knowledge of mechdrew's guide.

I'm currently running 10.5.6 on an 8GB SSD. I used a retail 10.5.0 disc without any problems. Make sure to do a custom install and deselect EVERYTHING that it will let you. I purchased Xslimmer so that I could strip it down enough to apply the 10.5.6 Combo Update (which I ran from a USB thumb drive). I also had to use Monolingual and delete (or move temporarily) nearly every application in the Applications folder. I also deleted every voice but Fred. Every dictionary but English. Every screen saver and wallpaper other than the defaults. And anything else that I believed to be non-critical. After you have updated to 10.5.6, I'd run all the Software Updates available (while you still have space) then you can replace most of the stuff you moved/deleted in the previous steps. Also, after installing new software or running Software Update, run Xslimmer (and/or Monolingual) again to free up space.

And just as an FYI: I currently have 680MB free. Hope this helps and good luck.

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05

« 8 GB SDHC card not being read by mini, 2GB works fine | OSX Clock off by 6hrs »