General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#11) Old
Default Re: Is this the coveted MacBook Mini? - 03-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Apple wouldn't use AdiumX and Warcraft on their dock for promotional issues, besides the keys look too big:

Besides, $900 for a netbook? Really? I know it's Apple, but come on, netbooks = cheap.'
I will stick with my hackintosh.

MacBook Mini | 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor | 1GB DDR2 RAM (533MHz) | 16GB Stock SSD | Mac OS X 10.5.6| 1.3 MP Integrated Webcam | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: Disabled | DellEFI 1.2 Alpha 5 | Meklort Touchpad Driver FTW
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Is this the coveted MacBook Mini? - 03-31-2009, 03:33 AM

Probably fake but I hope it isn't. It's a real beauty and with nVidia graphics, it would rock quite well.

I put down $700 as my sweet spot for this. Realistically, I already have $500 in my Dell Mini, but that's with a 32gb drive. If I had bumped that up to 64gb, I think it would have been $100 more -- my brain needs a memory upgrade.

The so called "Apple Tax" gets you more than a logo. If all it was about was a logo, Apple could rebadge Dells and up the price. The little extra you pay goes into quality parts that feel good in your hands. Clearly, a Dell with Windows will surf the net just fine, so if you value function only, an Apple isn't going to be your cup of tea. I spend a lot of time touching my computers though -- I like that they feel good to hold and touch. I would notice and find annoying a chintzy physical interface. (I like the Dell Mini9 for it's size, but there is much to be desired in the fit and finish)

The other thing to consider, is that Apples tend to hold their resale value well. So while you may pay more upfront, you can get a decent portion back on the tail end ... if you want to give up your old machine that is. I seem unable to part with my old ones.

« The Mac Wireless Mouse | Maximum size SSD supported? »