General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default How To: DellEFI 1.1 / 10.5.6 for noobs using External Drive - 03-30-2009, 02:28 AM

Ok, I'm installing right now via External DVD (no mac or pc and no thumb drives). I'm going to try to clean up the directions as, well, I'm a noob on this and I keep having to follow links and go back and forth on direction sets so I wanted to at least make some type of clean DellEFI on External DVD direction set. Hope this helps someone. MOST of this is copied from forum member "mechdrew" - I just tried to simplify some of it and share my own experiences. Don't, for any reason, think I am trying to plagiarize anything, I just wanted to make a record of my own install just in case I need to do this again. SOME OF THIS TEXT IS TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE FAQ's and HOW-TO's WRITTEN BY MECHDREW! MOST OF THIS IS NOT MY OWN WORK!

Installing Mac OSX Leopard on a Dell Mini 9. This is my experience using a Dell Mini 9 with 16GB SSD, 2GB Ram, and a LG External "Slim" USB DVD Burner. Hopefully, this will work for you.

1. Download ONE of the following:
DellMiniBoot123v8.01 (If your Leopard DVD is 10.5.5 DVDs and below, basically if it is an older Leopard DVd)
DellMiniBoot123v8.02b1 (for 10.5.6 DVDs and above, basically means if you just bought a brand new Leopard DVD, doubtful you'll have this as 10.5.6 is only a few months old)

2. Using Toast or another burning program (you can use "Disk Utility" in your utilities folder of your OSX apps if you have Mac.) Whichever version you chose, make sure to burn it as an ISO file onto a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. We'll call this "CD-R 1."

3. Grab another blank CD-R. Download the 10.5.6 combo update if you aren't installing from a 10.5.6 Leopard disk. (You probably aren't). Get this combo update here.

Download DellEFI 1.1 here.

Burn both files to one CD-R or DVD-R(w). We'll call this "CD-R 2".

4. Connect your external DVD drive via USB to the Dell Mini 9. Put in CD-R 1 into the drive. While booting your Dell Mini 9, press and hold 2 which will get you into the BIOS settings. Use your cursor to tab over to the settings which show if "USB Legacy" is enabled and "USB Wake from Sleep" is disabled. This should already be set up exactly like this, at least if you haven't messed with it. Now press F10 (Fn key plus : on a Dell Mini 9 keyboard) and this will save and exit.

5. Boot back up while holding zero (0). This will now ask you how you want to boot. Make sure you just boot in CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or similar. I can't remember exactly what the option is here but you'll figure it out. The bootloader will do its thing and then you'll just see a "boot:" prompt.

6. Eject the CD-ROM 1 and put in your retail Leopard DVD-ROM disk. Press Escape and it should show you that your DVD-ROM or CD-ROM is the boot disk and it will indicate this with a [9f]. If it does, simply press enter. If it doesn't, type 9f and press enter. Be patient, wait up to 10 minutes here for the Apple Logo to appear.

7. This is where I had to improvise. My DVD-ROM never loaded the Leopard DVD even after waiting 10 minutes or so. Check to make sure your DVD-ROM isn't spinning, and the activity light is not on first. If all is quiet, unplug the DVD-ROM from the computer (this will generate an error message) and plug it right back in. This will make your DVD-ROM drive spin up the Leopard DVD and then you'll see the Apple logo. (Well, at least it did in my case!) My DVD-ROM is bus powered meaning it doesn't have an additional power cable, so I didn't have to unplug the power cable. You might if you have one, try just unplugging USB first and immediately plugging back in.

8. Ok, now Leopard is going to install. First you'll need to get your disk ready. Leopard did not recognize my SSD. If your SSD does not appear in the drive list, open Utilities > Disk Utility and partition your drive with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then press "Options..." and select GUID. Apply and then exit.) I had to do this three times for it to work. It kept giving me an error.

9. Leopard gave me an estimated time of 1 hour 29 minutes for the install. I skipped the "DVD Check" , there isn't a reason to do this because you are using a legit install disk anyway!

10. My install Failed. It hung forever at the "one minute" mark, and finally failed. Not to worry, it really installed fine. Quit the installer and on re-boot, hold 0 again to get it to go into boot mode. Change out the disk for CD-ROM 1 again, then select "CD/DVD/DVD-R" drive. The CD drive again was not found, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

10. Remove Leopard Install Disk from your external drive, and put in the "CD-ROM 1" again. Restart and hold "0" again to get to the boot screen. Press escape and enter "80", type -f, then hit enter again. Now, you can finish your install and set-up. Click "do not transfer my information now" when you get to the "Do you Already Own a Mac" screen. When I first did this, it sort of crashed the set-up and went back to the first screen. I had not typed "-f" at the boot prompt and that's what screwed it up. If this doesn't work, try using disk "81" or "82".

11. At this point, it automatically showed my wireless networks. I selected mine and entered the passcode. Not sure how this happened, I didn't think it would be able to see networks until I installed DellEFI. The camera works too, and it let me take a screen shot for the account picture. Somebody chime in on that, I didn't think that should be working yet?

11. For users who do not have a 10.5.6 Leopard Disk: Finish the information setup. It is crucial that you install the 10.5.6 Combo update next. This was already burned to CD-ROM 2. Before I installed the 10.5.6 combo update, I copied over the DellMini9Utils folder from the CD-ROM to the desktop so I'd have those for later. Now, I installed the 10.5.6 combo updater from the CD-ROM 2. This takes awhile - 30 minutes at least.

12. Once the combo update has finished, you'll need to eject the current CD-ROM 2 and re-insert CD-ROM 1 so you can boot up with this one last time. Again, I had to unplug and plug the USB drive to accomplish this. Hold 0 to select your drive, select CD/DVD/DVD-RW drive by pressing enter, then start up hit escape and select your disk by hitting 80 or whatever yours is. For some reason, I had to do this twice.

13. Now, you'll want to run only the AboutThisMac.pkg file from the DellMini9Utils Folder. Disregard the DellEFI because it is an older version. Instead I used the DellEFI 1.1 that I burned to CD-ROM 2 instead earlier. It's your choice which one you want to install, I don't know anything about this. Once you run DeffEFI 1.1, choose "easy installation".

14. That's it. You can eject the DVD-ROM drive and unplug it after the screen goes black. Your new mac will reboot and you are good to go.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: How To: DellEFI 1.1 / 10.5.6 for noobs using External Drive - 04-14-2009, 06:35 AM

great post on a how to, however, once i install the 10.5.6 update, and boot again from the cd, it won't boot. I tried with -f and it causes it to reboot..

well tell a lie, it failed a few times.. then i tried to boot from a thumbdrive, which failed.. booted from cd and it worked.. hmm.. strange.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: How To: DellEFI 1.1 / 10.5.6 for noobs using External Drive - 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the help! Installed using xbox hddvd drive with no problems.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: How To: DellEFI 1.1 / 10.5.6 for noobs using External Drive - 04-16-2009, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the guide, or atleast the complilation of the other guides! Easy, easy and an hour or so later I am done! Now I about to install my internal bluetooth...hope no fits of rage to follow!!

Dell Mini 9 | Mac Os X | Alpine White | 64 GB Runcore SSD | 1.3 WC | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB SDHC | BT | Mighty Mouse | Apple Logo

« Thank-You! | keyboard layout dutch dell mini »