General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old
Default Re: What if Snow Leopard comes out? - 04-01-2009, 05:16 AM

I heard they were modeling snow leopard to be more like the iphone os, that would suck,, I mean I like the iphone os, but not as my full computer experience.. But in regards to your post, it will be hacked and hopefully bootable on the new iteration of the mini

Obsidian black mini 9|32gb STEC ssd|2gb crucial ram| sleep working (usb legacy disabled in bios)|1.3 mp webcam (photobooth and everything is working out of the box)|250GB external cavalry HDD+time machine|bios A04
  (#22) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: What if Snow Leopard comes out? - 04-01-2009, 05:50 AM

I just realized something, Snow Leopard is supposed to work with pretty much any Intel Mac, and a lot of the older MacBooks had very similar hardware to the Mini. And when we take into consideration that some of the earlier Mac minis were single-core Core Solo processors with slower speeds than our Minis, it seems totally feasible that Snow Leopard will work on the Dell Mini. They also did not all have 64-bit support. Not saying that Apple won't impose a processor limit like they did on Leopard (at least 800 Mhz processor and such) but that from a technical standpoint right now it seems very plausible.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#23) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: What if Snow Leopard comes out? - 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Apple typically supports machines for five or six years before dropping support. The last Yonah (32-bit only) Mac Minis were discontinued in August 2007, so I'd say the earliest they drop support for 32-bit CPUs is late 2012.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera

« Alarm Clock 2 and the mini | Booting with Correct Resolution »