General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Manually rebuild EFI partition - 03-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Hi guys,

This is a weird question, but I installed OSX using the normal instructions under FAQ just a few days ago(using DellEFI 1.1) and everything worked great. I then decided to backup everything and try to rebuild it(long story) and I did and my first 3 partitions are in the same order, but I can no longer boot through my EFI parition and have to use the miniboot CD(on a USB stick). I did not think it would be a big deal and I ran the DellEFI 1.1 utility again and told it through both custom and easy install to rebuild it, but no luck. So I booted Gparted and the DellEFI partition is there and flagged as both hidden and boot and it is formatted as FAT32. Not sure if that is correct or not, but I can use my Dell miniCD usb drive to boot into my OSX(or Vista) partitions fine and keep trying to reinstall the DellEFI partition through the DellEFI utility, but I can never boot off of my SSD.

So basically, I can boot to either MacOS or Vista fine if I use the Miniboot CD, but I am unable to reinstall the EFI partition through the utility so that I can boot off my SSD. When I do try to boot off my SSD I get the error "boot0: MBR boot0: doneThis is not a bootable disk"

I am guessig I could unhide the partition and boot off the CD and then run a dd command from the Dellmini over to partition1, but is there somethiing easier? I just want to make sure I do it the right way.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Manually rebuild EFI partition - 03-29-2009, 02:09 AM

Really weird, but I had 3 partitions according to gparted

1 - 200MB EFI flagged as hidden and boot
2 - 30GB as hfs+
3 - 30GB as NTFS

I kept trying to reinstall the DellEFI boot through the 1.1 utility, but everytime I would boot it would give me a non-system disk type of error. I could boot fine from the CD though. I went into parted and deleted partition 1 andmade it free space and now the computer boots again fine and lets me select Vista or OS X.

« HELP! Erased my Windows partition by mistake... | before i order my 9 »