General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#31) Old
Default Re: Favorite Leopard tweaks for Mini 9? - 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM

On a real Mac, the only typically-visible folders at the root / of the boot drive are /Applications, /Library, /System, and /Users (and sometimes /Developer). Since several files written as part of the DellEFI functionality are placed in the root / as well, they are also visible. (e.g. the Extra folder, and the dsdt.aml file.) If you have Xcode (the Developer tools) installed on another Mac, you can copy the SetFile and GetFileInfo CLI apps from /Developer/usr/bin/ to /usr/bin on your Mini 9. (Or you may have installed Xcode on the Mini 9.)

Anyway, you can hide those files from casual view by using the SetFile command to set the visibility attribute for the files and folders. For example, I issued these commands, in Terminal, on my machine:

sudo SetFile -a V /boot
sudo SetFile -a V /dsdt.aml
sudo SetFile -a V /Extra
This shouldn't affect the operation of those files and folders in any way, but they will reduce the chances that someone might move, change, or delete them. To reverse this procedure, issue the command again, but use a lowercase v instead. Good luck!
  (#32) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: Favorite Leopard tweaks for Mini 9? - 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM

You can also do that from DellEFI by checking the "Hide DellEFI files" option.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera
  (#33) Old
Default Re: Favorite Leopard tweaks for Mini 9? - 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM

NTFS-3G is one of the most useful utilities I've found.
It was developed by a guy at Google, it's FREE, and it allows you to write to NTFS disks. Perfect for transferring large files between Windows and OS X to get around the 4gb limit for FAT and FAT32 file systems. OSX can read NTFS out the box, but it can't write. This gives you both read/write functionality.
  (#34) Old
Default Re: Favorite Leopard tweaks for Mini 9? - 04-26-2009, 10:29 PM

use monolingual
to delete all the useless language files, universal binaries (not the intel ones) and language inputs
also delete the print drivers

and then delete any programs you dont need.
but before you do that download and install appdelete to delete program as just dragging them to the trash will result in fragments and preference files being left behind taking up space.

i've got my osx install and all programs down to around 6.5gb in size
with these simple tools and deletes.

« How to add Garageband to my mini | Gigabyte GN-WI01GT Wifi B/G - Works out of the box »