General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default OS X install on 16GB SDHC ? - 03-25-2009, 01:45 PM

I am just having fun exploring all the possibilities here, and I would like to attempt an install of OSX on a spare 8GB SSD that I am not using.

I have searched the forum for a definitive answer, but have not found anything concrete. I have found where someone, attempting to install on an 8GB SSD, first installed to an external hard drive. Someone else in that string suggested an SDHC instead of an external HD.

Question: Can I first install OSX to a 16GB SDHC; do my editing there (XSlimmer) to reduce the size of the install to the point where I can get upgraded to 10.5.6 in less than the 8GB limit; then use Disk Utility to do a "restore" to the 8GB internal SSD ? I am assuming that I will have to run DellEFI after moving the OSX install from the SDHC to the 8GB SSD. Will that work ? ? ?

Thanks for your help.

Dell Mini10v, 64GB RunCore Pro IV SATA SSD, 2GB Memory, A06 BIOS, 10.6.7, NBI 20100616212351, Bluetooth enabled (external dongle), USB Legacy disabled.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: OS X install on 16GB SDHC ? - 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm not entirely sure if it is possible to boot off of an SD card. I would think that the SD slot requires certain drivers to work, as oppose to USB which can work straight from the BIOS (probably a very poor explanation but I tried). If you want to go this route you may be able to do it via an SD -> USB adapter but doing an install/booting from the SD slot probably isnt possible.

« Random Power Offs (overheating?) | jailbraking iphone with mini 9 »