General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Random Power Offs (overheating?) - 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM

*sight* Nothing but trouble form me... seems I don't get along very well with my new Mini.

Now that I think I've pinpointed the slowdown issue, the computer congratulates me by just powering off without the slightest warning. It has happened twice so far. I wasn't doing anything special at the time. Just Firefox open with some youtube video.

I've seen this happen with a friends computer. It was due to a crappy fan. He had to run the computer with unscrewed bottom plate on top some erasors to levitate it from the table =) I think this might be the problem for me too as the Mini runs increadibly hot. Even the trackpad feels like a stove.

I'm keeping the Mini inside a drawer (lid open) connected to an external monitor and keyboard etc. Maybe that's why. If it happens again I'll try and put it out in the open instead. Or if somebody have another suggestion.... ?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Random Power Offs (overheating?) - 03-25-2009, 02:22 AM

Definitely pull it out of the drawer. Even though (especially though) it is fanless, it still requires good airflow for cooling.

It sounds like you are using it in a non-portable setting. If so, get one of these, too:

My Mini 9: Obsidian Black / OS X / 32GB STEC / 2GB HyperX / Bluetooth
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: Random Power Offs (overheating?) - 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Alternatively, if it's your own desk, maybe you can mount an 80mm exhaust fan in the back of the drawer and drill some ventilation holes in the bottom to constantly draw in cold air? If you get a 5V fan you can probably even run it from the Mini's USB port.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera

« Now i am done with FCP, would anyone be curious about Logic? | OS X install on 16GB SDHC ? »