General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#41) Old
Send a message via AIM to fvongraf Send a message via Yahoo to fvongraf Send a message via Skype™ to fvongraf
Default 05-31-2009, 12:12 AM

You could try flushing the extensions by booting with the -f option and then reapplying the DellEFI extentions...
  (#42) Old
Default Re: fvongraf - 05-31-2009, 08:39 AM

How would that help me with booting from a USB stick? The internal SSD isn't at all involved!?
  (#43) Old
Default Re: Airport off / UNetbootin and USB stick formating - 05-31-2009, 12:28 PM

My fault, I didn't unplug the USB wifi stick I was using before. That seems to have interfered with the USB Legacy Support. So anyone else having the problem, unplug everything except the stick you want to boot from.

Thanks for the try though, fvongraf.

But concerning the original Airport problem: The aircraft manager didn't do the trick for me. When I launched it, it showed wifi already enabled. Thunderstruck reported it was disabled when he launched the aircraft manager. So I dis- and enabled wifi twice to be sure like Thunderstruck did. But still no wifi under Mac OS X.

Another thing was odd: I had Bluetooth disabled in the BIOS like I usually have to save battery. But the aircraft manager under Ubuntu showed BT enabled as well.

I only managed to run the aircraft manager under Ubuntu 8.04. The installation worked under 9.04 but the app crashed.

I really would appreciate a Mac OS X app or a DellEFI integration to turn the wifi card on and off on that level where the Linux aircraft manager app does.

Has anyone another idea I can try now?
  (#44) Old
Default 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Im new to the OS X mini thing (about 2 hours new to be exact I probably got one of the last mini 9s, Dell discontinued it like the next day after i bought mine :/ but that's another thing...

Anyway forgive me if someone has already mentioned this but could the problem for *some people* have something to do with installing OS X from another Mac, such as with the "runcore USB" method? Depending on which Mac you boot from, different default network adapters get created in the Network System Preferences. I had a similar problem with WIFI not being on when I booted, and for me the "Airport" item in Network preferences didn't work at all, it was using "Ethernet 2" as my wireless adapter, while Airport did nothing. Well, the Mac I used to install OS X onto the Runcore ssd was a Mac Pro- which has 2 ethernet adapters but no Airport card (in mine).

After I removed all of the "Extra" network adapters from the Network pane and Applied changes, then i added back the Airport manually. From then on it started "acting" like Airport in a Macbook (remembering to stay on after boot, the menu bar icon worked for adding networks, etc). It's as if the setup with the bunch of network adapters that existed on the Mac Pro but not the Mini 9 was confusing it...

In case that helps anyone else who has a mini 9 boot drive that was formerly used to boot an Apple Mac.
  (#45) Old
Default 06-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Check out my post. Getting Wifi to work like a "Mac" is easy.....

Mac Users' View on Hackintoshing a Mini 10v - MyDellMini

It's toward the bottom.

Dell Mini 10v, 2GB, 120GB, 6-Cell, BT, 802.11n | Mac OS X 10.6.1 - 10v Hackintosh Guide - Get Dropbox for Mac OS X 2GB Free
  (#46) Old
Default Ubuntu 9.04 requires new version of aircraft mode installer - 06-14-2009, 12:58 AM

The Ubuntu/UNetbootin method will fail if you combine Ubuntu 9.04 with the aircraft mode installer linked earlier in this thread.

For Ubuntu 9.04 you will need this file from here. Check out the comments there, there seem to be some battery charging issues lurking. (Let us know your results!)

(#47) Old
Default 06-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by hypnotmica View Post
Just happened to me. Fixed by reinstalling DellEFI.

I am going back to an earlier post of yours. My airport card turns off after a few minutes after 2 installs of the system up to 10.5.7. using mechdew's one USB drive method. It worked perfectly under 10.5.6 for 6 weeks. You mentioned that you reran DeLEFI to fix your airport problem.--which version, and what settings were used.

« Mini 9 OS 10.5.7 external display | Should I upgrade to DellEFI 1.2a.5? »