General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Hi all,

just received my mini9 and immediately put osx on it. All running fine on the 16Gb ssd. I bought a 2Gb memory upgrade as the stock unit came with 512. The memory I bought was Kingston KVR667D2S5/2G (2 GB PC2 - 5300 CL5). I'd researched this and checked that others were using this memory too, it's also directly compatible with the memory in my macbook pro.

First stick went in, and the machine wouldn't boot. The power light comes on, then nothing. Black screen, nothing else happens. Put it in my MBP and same thing.

Next stick arrives as a replacement and the exact same thing happens. The chance of two duff sticks of memory from a decent manufacturer seems unlikely to me, so I'm concerned I'm doing something stupid. There's at least one other member of this forum who's used this memory and has it working fine, so can anyone suggest anything I might be missing please before I return both sticks for a refund and try buying from Crucial.

Many thanks, and additional thanks for all the helpful advice on this forum for getting osx installed on the mini, my commuting load just dropped dramatically.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Its been my experience that DDR usually isn't that picky. But RAM is just better than others. I'm sure you're not doing anything wrong, afterall the stuff is just PnP. I would seriously suggest moving to a different brand of RAM. I know normally Kingston is good stuff, but after two sticks in a row, I'd start somewhere else.

Black Mini 9 | A04 | 2GB | 32GB Runcore | OS X 10.5.8 | NBI 0.8.3
Wake on USB/Legacy USB: Off | Bluetooth: Not Installed
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM

i dont remember if it was the ram or the ssd that i installed where i had to push the card in pretty firmly before it snapped into place. that could be it, if you wanted to try and seat it in harder before you return it again.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-20-2009, 10:37 PM

I'm not running OSX yet (but it sounds like you're not either, technically... it's stopping during POST. I'm running Kingston ram, though it's the "HyperX" low-latency stuff (KHX4200S2LL/2G 2GB 533MHz DDR2 Low-Latency CL3). It was plug-and-play, no hiccups when I put the SODIMM in. I realize it's not directly comparable to the SODIMM you're using, but I can assert that at least some Kingston ram works in some Mini9s.

Mini9|Obsidian Black|2G ram|32G Runcore|OSX 10.5.7
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-21-2009, 01:09 AM

For what it's worth, I bought memory from crucial through their little system that picks it out for you since I'm hardware illiterate and it works fine as have all my crucial memory purchases. They aren't the cheapest, and don't offer free shipping anymore, but their **** is good
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-21-2009, 05:39 PM

I'll second as a reliable supplier. I've been using them for many years, and it's worth a couple extra dollars to know you're always getting the part you need, and that it ALWAYS works. (I'm not a shill for them, just a very satisfied customer.)

The 2GB module was $25 from them; just how much less might you expect to pay elsewhere?
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Need some help with memory upgrade please. - 03-22-2009, 01:38 AM

I know this is in my signature, but I ordered a G-Skill 2GB PC-5400 DDR2 Stick from Newegg that had a heat spreader to minimize the Mini's internal temperature. It worked from first boot and OS X runs very well with it (better than the stock 1 GB :lol: ).

Dell Mini 9 - Onyx Black, 32 GB STEC SSD, 2GB RAM, 1.3 Megapixel Webcam, Wireless N Card

« Thank you. | help: log files eat 3GB »