General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Ext. HD faster than stock 16gb STEC? - 03-18-2009, 07:05 PM

I recently got a 32GB Runcore from Ebay. Before upgrading, I ran Xbench on my system to see if it improved by much and got a 10.78 score on the Disk Test.

Just for grins, I attached a WD external 400gb HD to it and reran the test, I got a 35.92. Does that seem correct? Even my older Maxtor Mini III (60gb) got a faster than the STEC 28.55. Why would a USB HD be faster than an internal SSD?

I also tested my PQI 16gb SDHC and got a score of 1.58.

Since OSX can be installed on a USB HD, would it be faster to reinstall my OSX there?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Ext. HD faster than stock 16gb STEC? - 03-18-2009, 08:12 PM

I also have 32G SSD, 400 WD external USB HD, and a older Seagate USB HD. I got similar results. I think the issue is that the SSD WRITE is not very good which pull down the rating.

I actually have OSX installed on external HD as well as the SSD, it runs everything just as fast (subjective feeling) compare to running it from the SSD. I don't see major difference. But copying files to SSD is definitely much much slower compare to compare stuffs to the USB HD.

 Mini 1011 | N280/A05 | OSX 10.6.5 (NBI 0.8.5Pre), WIN 7 Pro | 2G RAM | 250G HD | BT
 MacBookPro2011 | OSX 10.6.7 | 4G RAM | 500 HD
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: Ext. HD faster than stock 16gb STEC? - 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM

Hard disks generally have faster sequential write speeds than MLC flash-based drives, even the RunCore. MLC has the advantage of fast random-access reads, compactness, and potentially lower power usage. SLC flash is the speed king, but it's way expensive, so you'll really only find SLC drives in high-performance servers and expensive desktops.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera

« Hang on restart in 10.5.6? | Installing Applications to SDHC »