General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Working install died overnight. Help! Solved by reinstall. - 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Dear Everyone

I've been using (and loving) this thing for a few days now. I finally got everything I needed installed and it never booted again starting the next morning. Grrrrr. I used the gizmodo instructions to install. The only modification was that I installed on a Kinston DT Mini Slim 16GB external USB as I only have a 4GB internal (for now). I am using that and its Ubuntu to write this.

Yesterday I installed iWeb, Office 2008, Cyberduck, maybe a few other things. Did some hard core usage testing (watching the iPhone 3.0 quicktime, while installing stuff, browsing, email, RSS, exposeing a lot - this was the first time I felt the Atom to be slower then my MBP but not slow enough to prefer my big and heavy mac over this thing). Tried to turn off but I am not sure it ever did. The light stayed on but I didn't think much of it at the time.

This morning I tried to boot and at the grey apple logo after spinning (about when it shoots into the desktop env) it simply turned off. I ran -v -x. I took about 20 reboots to get the info down.

BSD Root disk1s2 major14 minor 5
AppleIntel CPUPowerManagement init complete

<relatively long wait>

Syncing Disk.... Killing All Processes

CPU halt

<Turns off>

I tried to turn just about everything off in the bios. No use.

Any ideas. I would really hate to reinstall. I was actually getting ready to put in an order for a 64GB SSD and put my Mac up for sale. This is really discouraging. I really don't want to reinstall. Plus now I am worried about stability. I was going to work today. So much for that... (already left home).

Thanks. Cheers. L
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Working install died overnight. Help!!?! - 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Might have made progress but I don't like what I am seeing.

Here's probably what happened. Since the computer did not shut down OK, the file system got corrupted. I might have removed the USB Drive it was running from before I should've.

I booted into shell with the -s prompt. Ran the fsck. I get "Invalid key length" which (according to everything I read) means drive corruption. I plugged the drive into my mac and tried Disk Utility but it cannot fix it either. Now I am looking for more powerful software, still hoping for a fix.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

« How small can you get an OSX install? | Installin OSX apps to SD card?? »