General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Mar 2009
Flashing BIOS using only OS X with USB flash key - 03-18-2009, 04:55 AM
I've been lurking for a few weeks now... decided to return to the community, albeit a small contribution.
I updated to A04 using a small (32MB) USB flash key, and it worked fine.
Here's what I did:
1) Download the A04 BIOS from Dell's support site.
2) Download a DOS boot image (http://www.allbootdisks.com/download...es/Dos6.22.img).
3) Partition and erase USB key in Disk Utility as FAT (this might be optional).
4) In Disk Utility, unmount the newly formatted FAT volume.
5) Right click on the USB flash drive device, and click on "Information". Note the disk number (e.g. disk3).
6) Open Terminal and type the following:
sudo dd if=/<path to dos image>/Dos6.22.img of=/dev/<disk from above>
sudo dd if=~/Desktop/Dos6.22.img of=/dev/disk3
8) Remove all files except for: autoexec.bat, config.sys, io.sys, msdos.sys (I also left the following files alone: himem.sys, sys.com, tree.com... just because I had managed to free up enough room). This clears up enough room (~1.2MB) to move the A04 BIOS files onto the 1.44MB disk image.
9) Copy over the A04 flash files. I just copied the folder named "910A04" over directly.
10) Eject the drive, plug into your mini, and it should boot! (USB legacy mode has to be enabled in the BIOS).
11) Follow instructions on Dell's support site to complete the BIOS update.
I hope this helps a few folks!
Thanks to the community for providing such comprehensive and quick responses and guides.
Now back to tackling a failing OS X install
Join Date: Mar 2009
Re: Flashing BIOS using only OS X with USB flash key - 03-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks very much for the write up, it was 90% accurate to what I wanted to do but I just wanted to share a slightly easier way. I had issues that even when I imaged the standard DOS 6.22 image linked in this tutorial, it would say "No operating system found" before I even started deleting files.
I found following tutorial which did work @ http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=31659
You will find one of the files that thread links is missing, I found it at http://selfdestruct.net/misc/usbboot/HP ... TFILES.zip
This tutorial makes it a much easier and you don't need to delete any files, just copy the contents of the A04 ZIP and it all fits.
Current: Macbook 2.4Ghz aluminium .. with OS X
Previous: Dell Mini 9 with OS X
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.