General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default WiFi Config Question - 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM

I've had some big WiFi problems and have had to replace my WiFi card in the end to solve them, the downside is that the replacement only seems to support the American WiFi channels (1-11) and being I'm in Europe we have a larger channel range (1-14) and Murphys law dictates that my most convenient local access point is on channel 13 and now I can no longer connect to it. This is a stock Broadcomm Mini9 card.

Does anyone now how to reconfigure/rejig/bodge/hack the WiFi card/settings to allow the wider channel range. I cant see anything in the normal network config.

(#2) Old
Default Re: WiFi Config Question - 03-17-2009, 06:03 PM

From terminal you may be able to change the channel. You can get easier access to the command by typing the following in terminal:

sudo ln -s System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport/usr/sbin/airport

Then if you do "airport -s" you will see what networks are near you (this is a scanning command). You can also join a network from the command line with:

airport -A--bssid=<arg>--password=<arg> -c#
(where <arg> is the SSID and password and # is the channel number you want to join)

If you run "airport -h" you will see all of the command line switches.

Hope that helps.

Dell Mini 9 with a STEC 64gb SSD running OS X Leopard 10.5.6
MBP (Early 2008 model) 2.4, 200GB 7200 RPM, 4GB
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 80GB, 4GB
The random musings of Bamf -

« Boot ONLY from SSD since MacOS install - no DVD or USB | Did i do something wrong.. wont boot off of ssd »