General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Installin OSX apps to SD card?? - 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM

I have a 8GB mini9 and went through the DelEFI process to install OSX last week. I then went ahead and trimmed my install using all the great tricks on this forum (Xslimmer, font, languages, Screensavers, voices, backgrounds, etc).
I now have OSX customized to my liking with all the apps I need/want (Office 2008, VLC, Skype, Opera, Etc).

My problem is that using this setup BARELY has room to if my mailbox grows by like 10MB, I get errors. The same goes for docs, attachements, etc.

I was wondering if there was a trick to install large apps to the 8GB Sd card I always keep in the slot? I would like for something like Office or Skype to be installed there instead of the SSD. But most apps don"t have this options...

Possible ? or am I just dreaming?
I want to avoid ordering a RunCore if I can...all I need is a BIT of breathing room. I really don"t want to give up on Office 2008. This is what allows my Netbook to be my oncall laptop...

(#2) Old
Default Re: Installin OSX apps to SD card?? - 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Not trying to be a "search nazi," but a thread with an almost identical title to yours is one click away on this forum:

(#3) Old
Default Re: Installin OSX apps to SD card?? - 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM

I moved the whole applications dir to the sd card with a symbolic link so now when stuff installs it automatically installs to the sd card. makes the 8gig ssd tolerable.

« Working install died overnight. Help! Solved by reinstall. | Before installing OSX, I want to check I have the proper GMA »