General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Have bluetooth, but can't get it to work - 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM

I've got an installation that works, except for bluetooth. This is not a switch on/switch off problem -- it doesn't even appear in the Preferences app. I've done my homework in this forum and in Google. Here's what I know:

-- installation was done using the original Gizmodo instructions.
-- that, of course, includes an upgrade to Leopard
-- bluetooth is on in the BIOS
-- used an Ubuntu disk I had laying around to load Ubuntu and make sure that bluetooth was on

So, I'm thinking it's a driver problem of some kind, but I'm ignorant, particularly about Mac extensions and the like. I have a vague sense that I probably need to do something about the bluetooth related kexts, but that's just uninformed guessing, and I have no idea where to get alternative kexts or what to do with them if I do ;-).

Any ideas, anyone?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Have bluetooth, but can't get it to work - 03-15-2009, 11:59 AM

I had this problem myself OS X doesn't seem to have the ability to turn on or off the Bluetooth module. Quickest fix for me was to plug in my Windows XP SSD and turn on the Bluetooth there. Then when you swap back to OS X it's all up and running. Of course now I can't turn off Bluetooth without swapping back to Windows again.

I don't know why Ubuntu wont let you maybe it's because it's from a live CD

« Dell mini 9 $80 OFF + free 2 day shipping - Today only! | Wifi Sharing - Does it work? »