General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default help in washington D.C. - 03-12-2009, 02:57 AM

I reside in Arlington Va and was wondering if anyone would like to help me install OS X. I am extremely green in this area of expertise and really don't want to mess up my mini 9. I have all of the necessary hardware and would travel to wherever you are. thanks so much if you can help me.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: help in washington D.C. - 03-12-2009, 04:31 AM

Since installing OSX is essentially a "hack", I'd recommend you actually learn the steps/processes involved in the installation that way if anything goes wrong in the future you will be able to troubleshoot or fix it by yourself. Many people here start without knowing much, but the help here is fantastic and the install is pretty straight forward.

As far as "harming" your mini -- that's not really possible. You are only installing software, all of which can be undone using an external DVD drive and the restore discs that came with your mini.

My advice, read the DellEFI guide over and over and over again. Then just jump in.

Good luck!

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#3) Old
Default Re: help in washington D.C. - 03-12-2009, 05:09 AM

Yup - read the how-to guide, read it again. Read a few other topics relating to it. Read it again. And then follow it TO THE LETTER.

A large proportion of the problems that are reported in this forum seem to be down to people who just haven't followed the how-to guides properly. If you take your time and follow the steps - making sure to carefully do everything that you're instructed to, you'll be ok. The hardware involved is essentially the same every time - if it works once, it'll work for you.
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to clymans Send a message via Yahoo to clymans
Default Re: help in washington D.C. - 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM

I had negligible experience with OS X prior to doing the install. I followed the guide and ran into a few small issues that were fixed with a little googling. Overall, I would say I only had slightly more trouble installing OS X the first time on my Mini 9 than I did the first time I installed Ubuntu. The difference was that the Ubuntu install was on a Dell Optiplex with supported hardware and the OS X install was a mini 9 without official hardware support. In both cases, a little reading goes a long way and in the end you'll be better off for knowing the why behind the how.

I would be a little hesitant doing the install the first time without another computer available to get on the net for research, but other than that GO FOR IT!

Black Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | 16 GB Class 6 SDHC | A05 BIOS | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: ON | Dell EFI 1.1
  (#5) Old
Default Re: help in washington D.C. - 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM

i went ahead and did it on my own you guys were right it wasnt that difficult and pretty rewarding once it was finished.

(#6) Old
Default Re: help in washington D.C. - 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM

Fantastic! Enjoy your new OS X netbook.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | BIOS A04 | NBI '51 | 16 SSD | 2 GB RAM | BT

« BIOS A00 and OS X 10.5.6 | I know I'm missing something »