General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Kernel Panic when installing (first boot) - 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I have tried my very best to search, learn, read, search and read the various instructions listed on howto install osx. But no matter which method I try I always get the same problem.

I have been trying to install using the DellEFI Method to install. using both 1 usb drive and two.

I can boot up of the DellEFI partition all day every day with no problems. I select the osxdvd partition or usb drive and about a second into the process I get a kernal panic.

When I use the -x or -v flags it seems to fall over every time with the error :-
failed to load extension
I have tried to copy over the mach_kernel, same error. I have put the changed files from the file and get the same error.

I am 99.99% sure that I am using a retail image (images are easier to store/find than the disks). I have checked that it is not a new mac disc. I am at a loss as to what is going wrong.

Any help would be great!

(#2) Old
Default Re: Kernel Panic when installing (first boot) - 03-11-2009, 07:32 AM

OK so i managed to come up with the correct answer in my sleep.. who would have thought it.

I was using a OS X 10.5.x install disk but using the DellMiniBoot123v8.02b1.iso image. So I put the older DellMiniBoot123v8.01.iso image onto my USB and it got stuck but no kernel panic.

I then booted with -v which shows that it was looking for a boot volume etc.. so a quick search here and I booted with -f and things are looking good. I got about 50 mins till the first install is complete

From this experence it shows that I need to read more and sleep more..
  (#3) Old
Default 08-03-2009, 02:03 AM

I love you for posting this.

I was going crazy trying to figure out what my problem was and THIS WAS IT.

« Need Syslinux help trying to install OSX. | Clone runcore ssd 16gb to 8gb dell ssd »