General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default wireless N, extreme and comcast 24k download - 03-09-2009, 02:01 AM

This is a combo post with lots of info.
1. n card in mini 9 problem.
2. N router faster download when g compatible
3. unlock comcast for rediculous speed.
I have a broadcom wireless N card that I have been using for a month or more in my mini and it was fine until the other day it would only see G routers. If I made my extreme N router g compatible it would see the n router fine. If I changed it back to N only on 5 ghz it would still see it ok. But if I switched to be on another router and came back it wouldnt be there once again. I brought it to work and it saw the n only router here. Now I was stumped.
I went back to the house where I have the extreme N router N only plugged up as a bridge off the comcast g router/modem that comcast sent me and decided to turn off the comcast g router and just give up and make the extreme N router g compatible also. I cleared out the extreme and told it to learn the settings for the comcast g router and it did it fine except it told me I had 2 NATS and 2 DHCP servers. I configured it anyway and then turned off nat and dhcp and the wireless transmitter off the comcast router(motorola sg900 I think). When I turned it all on I went to to test my download. I clicked on Atlanta and my download jumped to 24976 and 11000 upload. Holy crap! I tried it on several other computers in the house and all were close except my newer macbook pro that would only download 10k. I went back to see if I setup the extreme N only would it go even faster. It slowed down. So an apple extreme n router configured to run the NAT and DHCP instead of the comcast router is fast enough to peg the needle on the speedtest site.

Using a ethernet cable the day the comcast guy installed the internet I only got 6 to 7k.

Back to the problem any ideas on why it all of a sudden cant see the n router when n only?

« Snow Leopard Beta Anyone??? | all works - except must always boot with "-x"??? »