General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: External DVD Burner recommendation for OS X - 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM

I have this one. ... id=0301744

Just loaded OS X this past weekend with no problems.

$65 at the moment.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: External DVD Burner recommendation for OS X - 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by leksluthah
I have this one on order. I will report my findings on Tuesday, after it arrives: ... 6827151178
As promised, I have received and tested this drive. I have been able to successfully boot off the drive using both the boot ISO that I used to install OSX and also a WinXP install disk. (Both of those were lying around nearby.) When I put a disk in the drive, the OS can see the data on the drive fine. I did not install anything off a disk, but I am sure it would work. I did read a dual-layer DVD, and I used the drive with my real MacBook to copy a DVD. When using the drive to read disks, I was able to use a standard USB 2.0 cable, but when burning a disk with the drive, the supplied cable which has two connectors is necessary. I am sure burning simply requires more power than a single USB port provides.

I did not know of the licensing issue with OS X not allowing one to play a DVD from any external drive, so when that did not work I scratched my noggin for a bit, thinking it was an incompatibility with the drive instead of a licensing thing. So, this drive works well, and is a great price. If I find a solution or workaround to the DVD watching issue, I'll try to post it later.

Mini 10v Obsidian Black with 2GB and a 320GB running SL with A05.
Mini 9, also Obsidian Black with 2GB and a 32GB SSD running 10.5.8.
  (#13) Old
Default Re: External DVD Burner recommendation for OS X - 03-14-2009, 06:14 PM

I assume that the other Samsung slot load version would be the same drive? I want it for the white outside to match my refurb coming in next week.
  (#14) Old
Cool TOSHIBA pa3761u-1DV2 works - 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM

I was also able to get the OS X disc to boot from the toshiba pa3761u-1DV2 available at BestBuy or online. Hope that helps anyone else searching for a drive that does work.
  (#15) Old
Default 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM

Have had no problems with a slimline tray-loading Samsung model under OS X with my Dell Mini.

Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 32GB Runcore SSD - OSX 10.5.8 - WWAN / WiFi / Bluetooth
  (#16) Old
Default 10-31-2009, 06:19 AM

I have a Liteon 8x External DVD, and have successfully booted from it, and installed both OSX 10.6.1 and Windows 7 using it.

Another thing, I also have a Macbook Air Superdrive, which does not boot or read in MacOS... However after installing the ODD drivers from the Snow Leopard install DVD, I can use the Air Superdrive in Windows 7

Pity I can't find drivers for it for MacOS though, I'd like to lug it around instead of the LG, it's a bit more snazzy. Ah well.

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')

« used netbookinstaller, 10v, got boot1: error | Audio Static? »