General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Few small issues on 8GB Install - 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM

1. I get an error that says "Your start up disk is low on space" when I unplug the power cord from my Mini (I have 900MB+ an 8GB SD card)

2. I get a "Please hold power to restart your computer" crash error when powering off the mini from the Apple MenuBar

3. What effect will OS X have on the SSD write cycles?

Thanks in advance for your time, my mini has been excellent besides these issues.
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to piano08man
Default Re: Few small issues on 8GB Install - 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM

You know, I find it kind of funny, but Apple recommends 8GB of free space for a Mac OSX installation... with a minimum of 3GB just for general system functions. That's kinda hard to have if you only have an 8GB SSD.

Anyways, a couple things I would recommend... make sure you have the latest version of DellEFI installed... you could even try the betas. Beta 3 should be out relatively soon. This could fix your issue with shut down, sounds like it kernel panics, if you want to do us all a favor and check the logs for the kernel panic information... that could help us determine the issue here.

Try Xslimmer to free up a little more space. I was able to get the OS install to about 5GB... then run everything else from the SD card.

I'm afraid I can't answer your last question... not my area of expertise. :roll:

Hardware, yes. Software, yes. Code - Why do you think I'm here?
Dell Mini 9 - 64GB SSD - 2GB RAM

« enquiries before I switch to OSX | Need help. Super Noob »