General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Can I clone my install? - 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM

OK I have OS X 10.5.6 installed on a 8gb SSD via DellEFI. Everything is the way I want it.

Now I have a 32gb Runcore on the way.

What's the best way to clone my OS so that when my runcore gets here I wont have to go through the re-install.

I tried booting into my OSX Install DVD (via thumb drive) and ran disc utility. And tried creating a disc image of my ssd onto an external USB. However, when I tried booting to that external it says its missing the os.

I also tried Carbon Copy Cloner.

Anyone got any suggestion on how to do this?

White DELL Mini 9 OS X 10.5.6
32gb runcore ssd 2gb ram
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM

The way I've done it is to boot from a flash key containing the DellMiniBoot software (as per the threads about installing to an external flash disk/HD) and then boot into the external HD from there - i.e. pressing ESC, choosing the correct device and then choosing the partition with the installation.

In my experience, you first have to make sure that your USB HD is visible to the Mini as a "USB Storage" device (e.g. the same as a flash drive containing the DellMiniBoot) and not "Removable Storage" as the Mini can only boot from the former. I've only ever been able to boot from a HD in an external 3.5"/5.25" enclosure and not a 2.5" (laptop) enclosure. However, this does depend on the enclosure so your mileage may vary.

The HD also had to be partitioned using GUID.

(I'm away from my Mini at the moment, so some bits may be incorrect ).

(#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM

If you image a drive over, you need to use your DellMiniBoot CD or flash drive in order to boot from it. You'll then need to use DellEFI to reinstall the bootloader (PCEFI9) because that doesn't get transfered over during the imaging process. But one you do that the new drive should be completely bootable.
And cd75mini is right, your BIOS need to be set to enable USB Legacy Mode before you can see it in the boot up.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#4) Old
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM

Oh i get it! ... i think.
So I did everything right up to the DELLEFI part. Correct me if im wrong but here are the proper steps to clone my internal SSD.

1. boot off the thumb drives, (im using the dual thumbdrive method) DellMiniBoot123 and Mac OS X Install DVD
2. open disc utilities
3. partition external HD as GUID with same name
4. click on SSD, then resource tab...
*this is the part I missed
5. boot with the thumb drive containing DellMiniBoot123
6. hit esc, choose the cloned drive
7. RUN DELLEFI so that i can boot into the cloned drive normally.

I will try this in a few hours i have to clear an external drive.

White DELL Mini 9 OS X 10.5.6
32gb runcore ssd 2gb ram
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-06-2009, 12:43 AM

So of those 7 steps, which one does the actual cloning of the SSD to the external USB Hard drive?

I'll want to try something similar, as I will be making a few mini Dell macs in the future and I have mine working

If anyone could to a more detailed "how-to" for those of us that are somewhat mac-challenged, that would be swell.
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Well there's cloning software for Mac, such as SuperDuper ... ... ption.html

I came across this software tonight while trying to find out whether I can clone my Mac Mini to my new 32GB RunCore SSD I got today in order to get OS X on my XP Dell Mini.
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-06-2009, 02:07 AM has a free cloning if you use it do the -q2 in the options. Its linux based & boots off your flashdrive.
  (#8) Old
Send a message via AIM to piano08man
Default Re: Can I clone my install? - 03-06-2009, 06:39 AM

Here is what I did, you may find it useful.

1. Followed all of the steps for the DellEFI installation method.
2. Got everything setup on the internal SSD (I made a tech image for troubleshooting later)
3. Downloaded Super Duper.
4. Connected a spare USB jump drive (16GB)
5. Created two partitions using the instructions in the single USB DellEFI method (DellEFI - 200MB, Tech - 15.2GB )
6. Followed the DellEFI bootloader instructions (the one where you install syslinux) and got the bootloader working.
7. Opened Super Duper and cloned from the internal SSD to the Tech partition on the jump drive.
8. Booted into the bios to make sure USB legacy support was enabled
9. Booted to the USB drive using the bootloader that I installed in step 6.

From there, you can boot directly to the Tech image on the jump drive if anything goes wrong with your SSD installation. If you were looking to image multiple machines, this would be a quick and easy way to do it. Just boot off of the jump drive and clone the image back to the SSD. Restart to the USB bootloader, choose the internal SSD and run DellEFI. It would work beautifully from that point on.

If you need more detailed instructions than this, I can do a better step by step if there is a demand for it... All of the steps within my steps are available in the guides already posted here, it is just a matter of knowing how to connect them all together.

Hardware, yes. Software, yes. Code - Why do you think I'm here?
Dell Mini 9 - 64GB SSD - 2GB RAM

« Add MAC OSX to exsiting XP install | Scrolling Redux »