General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: future updates disabled by apple? - 03-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by bluetooth
Is there not someway for them to programmatically determine that the manufacture of the system is not Apple, and thus disable, well, everything?

I read from the earlier post that everything is abstracted from the OS, but I have a hard time believing this fully.

Seems to me that it's feasible that Apple could tell the Dell Mini community to go pound sand --- all through an update.
Well, an update certainly could disable the OS for a while, it's happened a lot over the years to the Hackintosh community. The difference here is that the update isn't overwriting any custom extensions and such, as is usually the problem. While they could go in and program some nifty hardware detection technology and whatnot, the ultimate factor here is this: Would they honestly waste time trying to one-up a community that already relies heavily on modding files to work, especially when it will just get modded again? That's a lot of money just for a few weeks- maybe even just days- to mess up a rather small population of people. In the end I don't think Apple is honestly that worried about our scene, especially since most are already faithful Mac owners. I would not have bought an extra copy of Leopard had it not been for my fantastic MacBooks (my first being the original early 2006 model and now a unibody MacBook) and the whole principle of installing it on my Dell Mini. Fact is, they wouldn't have got any more money out of me if this weren't possible, and that's the same for a majority of us here. They may not approve of what we do, but they do know what not to waste time and resources on.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« Can't get to the install screen | Problems with new install of OSX! »