General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: How stable is OSX? - 03-05-2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ezeitler
I wonder if one could run a USB stick for the Timemachine drive?

I will have to try that & see.
You could, but that would have to be a VERY BIG drive. It must be equal to or greater in size than the drive you are backing up.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#12) Old
Default Re: How stable is OSX? - 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM

I use Mozy for now for nonessential backups ( great online utility for backups of certain folders. has its own encryption or you provide your own. not bad for a free service w/ 2GB of online space. it's not TimeMachine though. won't help you restore your system, but has restore option of the folders you are backing up.

1st back up is longer (if you use all 2GB), then only backs up files that have changed since last backup.

SSD(refurb) 64GB

Black Mini 9 w/ 2 Apple logo stickers over the Dell logo, 64GB Dell SSD, bluetooth, webcam; OS X 10.5.8 w/ NetbookInstaller 0.8.3; no more Ubuntu
  (#13) Old
Default Re: How stable is OSX? - 03-05-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bongonaut
A modem such as Apple's dialup, or faxmodem? It'd be (anecdotally) interesting to know if those work.

A modem for cellular? It'd be much more interesting to hear if that works, too, and what/whose software it calls for.
Yep, it's a modem for cellular. Not sure how useful this information is to you, since I'm in the UK and I'm guessing that you're in the US.

Anyway, it's a 3G modem. The modem model is a Huawei E220 and the phone company is Three. I actually got it on contract a year and a half ago, followed a link on Three's web site to download the installer (which I think was actually Huawei's own) and some instructions (tailored to the Three network), and got it up and running straight away on my MacBook. This was early days of 3G modems over here, and they didn't cater to the Mac market too well - PC users had an automatic install of the drivers and a desktop app which allowed them to send texts, etc. I had to install the drivers by hand, enter in the APN info etc and didn't get a desktop app - but it worked and did what I wanted, so I was happy. I understand that the newer ones (or maybe the ones from different telcos) play nicer with Macs and install the drivers automatically and give you a desktop app too.

I still had the downloads, so the first time I travelled with my Mini, i went through the same process and it worked fine. Not had any problems with it then, or since. I've actually cancelled the contract now and am running it off a pay as you go SIM (but still with Three). I'm thinking of getting the modem unlocked so I can switch to a different network (the 3G coverage with Three isn't too good for some of the places I travel to).

Anyway, the bottom line is that my Mini works reliably (network permitting) with my 3G USB cellular modem and I set it up following the standard Mac setup instructions.

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD

« Help 10.5 Install | trackpad question »