General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Finder keeps crashing - 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM

OS X has been running great on my laptop except for shutting down and restarting sometimes. Sometimes it will not shut down nor restart so I have to hold the power button down. The other day I had issues so I ran disk utility to repair permissions and ran Onyx to delete certain cache files and that fixed errors. Today it would not shut down again and now I cannot open the Finder. It keeps restarting and not allow me to browse files.

EVERYTHING else runs w/o issue. I've run disk utility to repair issues, run Onyx to delete all cache files and run every cleaning script it has, created another user accnt to see if it was a corrupted pref file and even used terminal to delete to no avail. I've tried booting -f and non-f again and no luck.

What should I do now? Can I boot of the USB drive used to initially install OS X and run a repair utility? Does it even have that option? Thanks.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Finder keeps crashing - 03-04-2009, 12:33 AM

You can try starting up the computer with the Leopard disc or your flash drive, go into Disk Utility, and Repair Disk. They may bring up some problems that you wouldn't be able to check while you are running OSX. You can also try a program called TechTool. It is a really good diagnostic program that will check everything on your computer.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Finder keeps crashing - 03-04-2009, 01:24 AM

Something similar started happening to mine:

For your information, I've included the link. I ended up re-installing and everything is good now.

OSX 10.6.4

« Will Dell Punish me for GUID partition on returned SSD? | Install from Windows! It's Possible! »