General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Using a bootloader to boot another disk... - 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM

So I have a crazy idea...

I like my Dell Mini 9. I like it a lot. I even like the compact, bijou and pretty fast nLited XP Pro install I have on my 8GB STEC - the i/o of the STEC is OK for what I need it for right now.

However, I am playing with OS X and I really like that too. I am going to install a dual boot OSX / Win 7 Beta on an external USB drive I have to play around with, which I shouldbe able to get to work fine. What I'd really like to do though is configure a bootloader so that I can choose which OS I boot to across the disks.

That is, lets say I have no USB drive in, it will just boot to the SSD. However, if I have the USB drive in, I get a bootloader which lets me choose whether to boot to the internal SSD, the USB OS X or the USB Windows 7 partition...

How feasable is this? I presume I just need to add an option line in the bootloader config poiting it to the appropriate drive and partition, which I've done before, but never across interfaces...

Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | A05 | Win7 / OS X 10.5.6 Dual Boot | DellEFI 1.1 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore 70mm SSD | 4GB SDHC | Vodafone HSPA | 0.3mP webcam
Dell Mini 9: Obsidian Black | as above except: XP Pro SP3 | 250GB USB HDD
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: Using a bootloader to boot another disk... - 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM

If you leave USB legacy mode on in the BIOS then you could simply press zero at bootup and select the USB HHD option ot boot into your external drive.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« Installing Retail 10.5.6 | Leopard Install - Last Step not Working. »