General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: Switching between SSDs w/ different os on each - 02-28-2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by tastewar
Partial answer to my own question -- fusion claims to support BootCamp volumes, so this should be pretty similar. May have to try it...
Not just a claim on the BootCamp volumes - it works like a champ on my MBP. Not sure how that will work on the Mini though.

Dell Mini 9 with a STEC 64gb SSD running OS X Leopard 10.5.6
MBP (Early 2008 model) 2.4, 200GB 7200 RPM, 4GB
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 80GB, 4GB
The random musings of Bamf -
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Switching between SSDs w/ different os on each - 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM

It'll be interesting to see if you can get Win7 on a bootcamp partition on your Mini9. It works like a dream on my MBP but I had to find my audio and wireless drives separately. Let us know how you get on.

Dell Mini 9 2GB 64GB RunCore SSD BT 1.3MP 10.5.8 A05 NBI .8.3 RC3
MBP 2.4 C2D 4GB 160GB 10.6.2
Macmin 2.53 C2D 4GB 320GB 10.6.2
Macmini 1.83 CD 1GB 80GB 10.6.2
iPhone 3Gs 32GB; 2*PS3 (320/40GB + PlayTV); Wii; PS2; PSP Phat; PSP3000
  (#13) Old
Default Re: Switching between SSDs w/ different os on each - 03-01-2009, 02:14 PM

OK, so just to report back, I have a perfectly good Win7 install on one partition, and a perfectly good OS X install on another. I am using the Windows bootloader to boot with EasyBCD helping with the Mac boot. I dl'd the VMWare Fusion trial and when I ran it it recognized the Windows partition as a BootCamp partition right away. On first boot, it seemed to attempt to install VMWare tools multiple times (?) but worked out in the end. So now, it boots fine, but runs pretty slow, and I have yet to get networking to work, even though it works fine when booted as a Windows machine.

Couple of oddities-- when it boots, it of course presents the same boot menu which includes MacOS. I've been afraid to try it. Perhaps I should change my default back to Windows to be safer. Also, when doing an honest hardware boot, the Windows loading screen is the Vista version, but when booting through VMWare, it shows the prettier Win7 version. That should be a clue to me as to what's being loaded from where, but I am not quite getting it. There were multiple repair steps etc getting this going.

Anyway, summary is that Fusion recognizes a Windows partition on this machine as a BootCamp partition.

Refurbished Cherry Red mini 9, 2 GB, RunCore 16 GB SSD; Bluetooth, 1.3 MP Webcam;
Mac OS X 10.6.7; NBI 20100616212351; BIOS A04, USB Legacy off

« KB & Mouse work during install but not upon reboot? | Leopard Image and Windows »