General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 05:54 AM

I'm using EFI to load OSX on my 8GB mini (till I get a bigger SSD). When I boot 81 for the USB HHD with the install image the Apple screen appears with the spinning "Load" wheel. Its been over 30 minutes and there is no change?

Is that a problem? I tried to search for the info, but I'm not sure where the search function is.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Is this your first post install boot? If so, boot with -f. Otherwise, just power it off and try again. It does get stuck there from time to time for people.

Dell Mini 9 with a STEC 64gb SSD running OS X Leopard 10.5.6
MBP (Early 2008 model) 2.4, 200GB 7200 RPM, 4GB
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 80GB, 4GB
The random musings of Bamf - http://www.bamfblog.net
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf
Is this your first post install boot? If so, boot with -f. Otherwise, just power it off and try again. It does get stuck there from time to time for people.
I haven't got to the install yet. I was booting to the install and it got stuck on the spinning wheel screen.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM

I went back and did a -v on the boot.

Found some exceptions:

Code:
extension "com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily" cannot be found
can't determine immediate dependencies for extension com.apple.driver.airportbrcm43xx
can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.airportbrcm43xx.
Couldn't alloc class "AirPort_Brcm43xx"
From path: 
"uuid"
Waiting for boot volume with UUID
 Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM

You are using a retail OS X Leopard DVD right (the one you have to purchase separately)? Just want to make sure before we delve further into your issue as using a restore disc that came with a Mac could be the issue here (if you are accidentally using one that is)...

Dell Mini 9 with a STEC 64gb SSD running OS X Leopard 10.5.6
MBP (Early 2008 model) 2.4, 200GB 7200 RPM, 4GB
Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 80GB, 4GB
The random musings of Bamf - http://www.bamfblog.net
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 02:54 PM

You need to use Type11 Boot 132 to boot after the install. The you can apply 10.5.6 combo, boot again via Type11 Boot132 and then finally run DellEFI. I think you have missed those steps...

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm having the same problem. Have done the install on 2 previous 8gb dell mini's (mine and a friend's, both won from Vodafone) but was trying to do it on my wife's which she bought last week and am getting the endless logo issue. I'm using the EFI method with a USB key and a USB hard drive, same spinning logo each time, first install (to 10.5.0) was fine, problem comes now when trying to boot back in and install 10.5.6 update. First install was flawless as was second but all sorts of problems now on the third machine. Booting with -v gives me "package 0 didn't get an HPET". The problem is it's also happening when trying to boot the installer usb drive so i can't try reinstalling everything! Any ideas, I promised my wife that it was simple process and got cocky...oops.
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivlos
I'm having the same problem. Have done the install on 2 previous 8gb dell mini's (mine and a friend's, both won from Vodafone) but was trying to do it on my wife's which she bought last week and am getting the endless logo issue. I'm using the EFI method with a USB key and a USB hard drive, same spinning logo each time, first install (to 10.5.0) was fine, problem comes now when trying to boot back in and install 10.5.6 update. First install was flawless as was second but all sorts of problems now on the third machine. Booting with -v gives me "package 0 didn't get an HPET". The problem is it's also happening when trying to boot the installer usb drive so i can't try reinstalling everything! Any ideas, I promised my wife that it was simple process and got cocky...oops.
Make sure to use ISO 8.01... not 8.02 beta as it only work for ney 10.5.6 Install DVD... It won't work with old ones. Which version are you using? If you use 8.02 simple use 8.01 and things might get better.

That HPET error is strange... never seen this before... Kernel panic yes but HPET... no. That sound like a DSDT error to me.

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm using version ISO 8.0 as I haven't changed anything since I did the install on the the first 2 mini's which went fine. The only difference between those 2 and my wife's is that they had XP and the new one was Ubuntu preinstalled and no 3G. Is it worth trying v8.01? Thanks for any light you can shed on this!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Stuck on Apple Logo during load. - 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf
You are using a retail OS X Leopard DVD right (the one you have to purchase separately)? Just want to make sure before we delve further into your issue as using a restore disc that came with a Mac could be the issue here (if you are accidentally using one that is)...
That's correct. I purchased a 10.5.4 retail box.

I noticed last night that when I disabled just about eveything in BIOS, like bluetooth. I got farther, but still got stuck. The last issue was some iPhone thing... I got fed up and went to sleep so I'll have to try again.

EDIT:: I went back and attempted another install. I get to iTunesPhoneDriver and it hangs. Just after that. The last line says
Code:
"BSD root: disk2s2, major 14, minor 7"
The only other piece of information I can is that before I type -v to boot 81 (my USB HHD). There is an error screen that goes by to quickly. It might not be an issue since I'm actually getting into the Apple install. IDK.

Also, to be clear again. I have not made it to the install yet. Its hanging before I get there on the initial first boot.

Thanks!!!

« Type11 or DellEFI method? | Cant get OS X to install via USB DellEFI method? »