General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Installing DellEFI using DVD Drive? - 02-23-2009, 12:52 AM

So I'm trying to install OS X Leopard onto my Dell. I understood the Type11 instructions way more than I did the DellEFI method. But since people claim the DellEFI method is newer and better, Im trying to use it.

This thread, which appears to be the best instructions:

It explains how to install OS X using both a Mac, and a 8GB USB thumb Drive... both of which I don't have.

- But I do have the 10.5.6 Leopard disk, and a USB DVD drive that works well.

So I'm trying to figure out how I can use those instructions using what I have, and not being forced to use a Mac/Thumb Drive.

Thanks for the help.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: Installing DellEFI using DVD Drive? - 02-23-2009, 01:27 AM

It's a work-in-progress guide. Basically you'll download the ISO image referenced in the guide (the 8.02 version, it will be better for your 10.5.6 disc) and burn it to a disc. Pop it in, boot from CD, and then swap disc once it has booted to the prompt screen. At least, that's how it is supposed to work.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default Re: Installing DellEFI using DVD Drive? - 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM

I just followed the instructions for type 11. You will probably need to unplug the DVD player when you swap disks. Once all done and updated to latest version install DellEFI works great for me.

« The Mini 9 has IntelĀ® Graphic Media Accelerator 500??? | Is it possible to run XP Pro in VMware/Parellels environment »