General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CyG
This forum does not condone the resale of computers loaded with OS X. You will get no sympathy here for having your auction removed.
If you re-read SpikeandOtis' post you will see that he said he could install Mac OS X on it, not that he had installed Mac OS X on it.

Dell Mini 9 (UK), 16Gb SDD, 2Gb RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM

I'm not looking for any sympathy. I was merely making a comment about the legality of installing OS X on the Mini.
  (#13) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-16-2009, 06:22 PM

I've had some issues in the past w/ eBay and copyright stuff. Recently I tried to sell a PSP that used to have custom firmware on it. I made mention of this in the listing and they pulled it because it "Condones violating copyright laws." So yeah, I can understand why a Mini that mentions that you can install OSX on it was pulled.

Black Mini 9 | A04 | 2GB | 32GB Runcore | OS X 10.5.8 | NBI 0.8.3
Wake on USB/Legacy USB: Off | Bluetooth: Not Installed
  (#14) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-16-2009, 08:11 PM

The wording in the EULA is so loose that I think it's not illegal.

"apple-labeled"? Come on.
  (#15) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-19-2009, 05:43 AM

There are a couple of Apple labels on my Dell mini yet a man in a waiting room told me he was fairly certain that running OS X on a Dell is highly illegal. He had oooed & aahed over it until he saw it wasn't running XP. There's one in every crowd.

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-19-2009, 05:55 AM

The technology guys at the campus technology store blew their minds when they realized what was going on with my Mini. They thought it was cool to begin with, but when they saw OS X, it was like they reached nirvana or something. Best part was the Apple employee who was visiting, I couldn't tell whether he was excited or thoroughly pissed. :lol:

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#17) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Everyone is ASSUMING its illegal, but isnt that just what is being tested in the courts right now with Psystar?

I am of the camp that believes that I purchased a copy of their software, its MINE, and I can with it whatever I like, their EULA be damned. Before you budding legal scholars out there jump on me and tell me that it is an opinion (and moreoever an opinion with no legal grounding at all), I say I dont care. Its the way it should be, anyway. If I can find a way for OSX to run my coffee machine, its my spaghetti-monster-given right.

In any case, I am supremely unconcerned regarding any legal action against any single user. The only way Apple would ever go after you is if you went into business installing OSX on minis and selling them.

Hacbook Mini, 16 gig, 2 gig
  (#18) Old
Default Re: Is it legal? - 02-19-2009, 05:34 PM

It is violation of the EULA, which essentially is a licensing violation.

You didn't purchase the software, you purchase a license for it. There's a big difference.

As to the EULA "be damned," that doesn't change things on the pure question about installing OS X in a non-Mac when the EULA indicates that you have agreed not to this.

I don't like the EULA, and also don't feel Apple is really concerned with the very small minority of individuals who have done what those here have. And many of us have actually purchased an independent copy of OS X for this purpose.

« A few questions about OSX on the Mini | syslinux »