General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default using sdhc w/usb adapter install ? - 02-12-2009, 12:20 AM

I have made an os x boot drive using an external normal usb drive.... I was just curious if I took a 16gb sdhc stick in a usb holder and plugged it into the usb port of the dell 9 would I be able to install os x on that and it function ? I know you cannot use it in the media stick part of the dell9 but once I use the usb adapter will the os x install be the same as it was for the usb external drive that I used ?
My internal ssd drive has win xp and I am waiting for a runcore ssd but was tired of this big usb external and was looking for a lighter type option....
  (#2) Old
Send a message via MSN to yan_vn
Default Re: using sdhc w/usb adapter install ? - 02-12-2009, 02:02 AM

I am not sure your SDHC reader will be seen as a USB Flash dongle.
In fact in modern PCs mostly all peripherals are connected using USB internally, so the way you want to go will not differ a lot from the standard internal reader of the Mini9...
Well, I think... never tried in fact.

Yannick DEVOS - Nature-Mekong
  (#3) Old
Default Re: using sdhc w/usb adapter install ? - 02-12-2009, 09:04 PM

From using the SEARCH FUNCTION HERE:, it appears you can use a USB reader with an SD card to boot.

Vostro A90 | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS: Dell Mini 9 A05 | Mac OS 10.6.1 | 1505 802.11N Wifi | .3MP WebCam
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: using sdhc w/usb adapter install ? - 02-13-2009, 01:29 AM

I've personally used a Sandisk Mobile SD+ with a 4 GB microSDHC card and Lexar SD card reader to help me with the install process. Both booted up just fine so I could use my 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer with the Leopard DVD on it. Your mileage may vary, but I've never had a problem with any of my SD or USB cards, just sometimes you have to do a little dirty work.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« ATTN: Quicksilver users | Dell Mini 9 + OSX + iPhone = Perfect Road Warrior Solution »