Default How to erase SSD - 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM

I would appreciate any help on this:

I successfully installed OSX. Now I only get a black screen with
boot0: GPT
boot0: HFS+
boot0: booting
boot0: done
boot1: error

I can't boot from CD- tried type11, windows xp, efi usb, nothing- it just goes straight to this error. The efi partion is being seen first, no matter waht I try. USB legacy support is on in the bios. Does anyone know of a way to wipe the drive...I have run out of things to try.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: How to erase SSD - 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM

My first attempt to install OS-X on my Mini 9's SSD failed. I attribute this to the fact that when I used OS-X's "Disk Utility" to format my SSD, I decided to -try-to be clever and create 2 partitions - one for my intended re-install of Ubuntu Linux to make an eventual "Dual Boot" system with both OS-X and Linux. I think my fail was because I made the "first" partition 2 Gig (for Linux) and the "second" large (12 gig) for OS-X. As I soon discovered, the EFI Boot Loader expects the "primary" OS to be on the FIRST partition. After installing OS-X on the second partition, my Mini 9 wouldn't boot from either the SSD or the USB installer flash drive. Since I have an external USB DVD drive, I simply installed my Dell-provided Ubuntu Linux CD in the drive, rebooted the Mini, pressed "0" at boot up to enter the Bios settings, selected "USB" and moved it to the "top" of the boot list, saved the changes, and then restarted the Mini. It immediately began booting from the Linux "Restore" CD, and as part of its normal restore process, it re-partitions and re-formats the Mini's SSD drive. Presto! It boots like factory new into Ubuntu Linux, and of course, goes through the initial setup steps as it did when first run. I hope this helps you. It may not be the most "elegant" way, or the most "geeky", but it will ALWAYS work.

-- Dell Mini 10v with 1 Gig RAM, 160 Gig HD, Running Dual-Boot - Mac OS-X 10.6.4 and Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default Re: How to erase SSD - 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM

It could also be that you haven't rebooted using the USB thumb drive with DellMiniBoot to install the DellEFI software. Until DellEFI is installed there is no way to boot up solely from the SSD.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« SOLVED: Pro w/ Mac only USB install, can't boot from USB iso | adobe flash 10 and safari4 »