General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#71) Old
Default iLife 09 - 05-27-2009, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Littlepixel View Post
My must-haves are:

Gmail Notifier (little menu in the top bar tells you of new mail without having to have browser open.
Transmit (for ftp duties and SSHing to iPhone).
App Zapper/Monolingual/Xslim for saving a bit of space.
VLC. Because it's the law!
Audio Hijack - I use this a lot for the quick and dirty way of getting audio from disparate sources.
Spotify - I find I use this more than iTunes - especially on a machine with a small drive
The Unarchiver for zip/rar unarchiving duties.
Tinker Tool System for fannying about with settings
VMWare fusion/slim XP install For occasional forays into the world of Windoze™.
Scale Resolution for occasional need for small interface. Looking forward to full scaling in Snow Leopard
Flickr Uploadr

Things I removed due to lack of use:
DVD Player - obvious really on a machine with no optical
iTunes - space hog and if I'm on the road I have my iPod/iPhone anyway
Mail - I use gmail so out it goes
iCal - I use google calendar so a bit of space saved.
All the macintalk voices.
Does anyone know if ilife 09 works on the Dell Mini? Specifically, the garage band that comes with 09?

Thanks for any help
  (#72) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 02:52 AM

Here's my must haves. Most of you already listed a lot of these. Another reason why other people should have them too!

AppClean - To hopefully remove all traces of apps (I still find some reminents but not nearly as bad as just dragging the app to Trash)

Audio Hijack Pro - As long as you can hear it, you can record it! Goes well with my VirtualDJ 4 setup and much cheaper than upgrading to version 5 (I dont mix videos).

Flip4Mac - Unfortunately windows media

Geekbench - Compare your Mini's speed before/after all these constant changes we all love to do.

Google Docs Desktop Link
- Why install an doc editor when most of us only view?

Google Notifier - Check your mail instantly!

Little Snitch - Control outgoing internet traffic.

MacPAR Deluxe - Never quite found a good alternative to WinRAR when I switched to mac 2 years ago, this does the job well even though thats not its primary purpose.

MacPilot - unlock hidden features, add Cut and Paste!

- Remove/Hide the Dock and MenuBar for specific apps

- Remote access to my Mini and my iMac from anywhere.

VirtualDJ 4.3
- MP3 mixing software

- View/Listen to pretty much any video/audio file you can throw at it.

- Remove unnecessary fat in all of the above and in Leopard.

Yahoo! Messenger - webcam/voicechat with the wife when im away

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#73) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 03:42 AM

A couple of people have mentioned MenuMeters - it used to be my goto - I switched to iStat Menus, and I like it a lot better- for those of you using menumeters, give it a try.

I also second Papers 1.9 - I use it for PDF organization (I read a lot of scientific PDFs)- its phenomenal software...definitely support those guys.

Dell Vostro A90_____A03____OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1
32GB RunCore SSD Drive_____________2GB Crucial RAM
NBI 0.83RC3_________________Deep Sleep : [Disabled]
Bluetooth : [Disabled]__USB Legacy support : [Disabled]
  (#74) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by JohnLeBaron View Post
Does anyone know if ilife 09 works on the Dell Mini? Specifically, the garage band that comes with 09?
Not all the iLife apps will open on the mini9. I use iPhoto and (of course) iTunes from the iLife 09 suite but iMovie will not open due to the low screen resolution of the mini9. I haven't yet tried Garage Band but I can test it this evening.

Mini 9 with 64GB Runcore SSHD, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8 (BIOS A05)
& Windows 7 (with VirtualBox)
  (#75) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 06:14 PM

iWorks will work but you need to change the screen resolution for Numbers and for Keynote. Pages works OK, but will not fill the full screen. Garageband for me is terrible. Even with a screen resolution change, too much of the app is still off screen.

JA in KY
  (#76) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Skim - the best PDF reader going

PlayStation2 SCPH-30001 v4.0 / Seagate 250GB
PlayStation2 SCPH-39001N v7.0 / Seagate 320GB HDLoader 0.8c / Memory Card Exploit
(+[__]%) PSP-1001k 98500 5.00 M33-6 2, 8 & 32GB MSPD
XBOX 360 Arcade 20GB LiteOn iXtreme 1.6 & Activate.iso Xbox LIVE Status: OK
Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 8GB 320GB Mac OS X 10.6.6
Dell Mini 10v 1GB 160GB Mac OS X 10.6.6 & Windows 7 RTM
A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself. N. Bohr
  (#77) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AlienWarrior75 View Post
Skim - the best PDF reader going
Hmm... I will have to check that out, although I do like Preview a lot. (and the updated Preview in Snow Leopard is supposed to be much better).

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#78) Old
Default 08-26-2009, 10:36 PM

Just want to second the person that recommended removing DVD player if you don't have the external drive, and removing the Mac voices.

And don't recall if it was the same person or not, but, the replacing iPhoto with Picasa saves space while preserving ability to do basic photo work while away from home.

Thanks to whoever suggested Bean. Will be trying that out for Word documents. That said, I'm currently using OpenOffice for the bulk of my office needs.

Keeping iTunes on the machine so I can keep iCal and Address Book in-sync with the MBP and iPhone in a safe and sanctioned way. No music or video syncing.

Don't think I saw this one in anyone's list: anacron.

Since I will not being using the Mini for any real or heavy work, something to fill the gap between the iPhone and the MBP, my must-haves/add-ons are not many:

Address Book

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried VirtualBox on their Mini, instead of VMware or Parallels?

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#79) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-26-2009, 11:11 PM

I've used Virtualbox to run a few of the games I originally got for the Win 7 side of my dual boot machine and it worked OK. Had 0 luck with trying to get it set up for anything else.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#80) Old
Default Last Fm - 08-27-2009, 08:07 AM

Last Fm.

Now this won't be applicable for many people but long time users of Last Fm may not have realised that the "Play Library" feature is very useful for us with low storage space.

Basically I've been using Last Fm to scrobble my music for about 4-5 years now, this means that the site has a record of pretty much everything I have listened to in that time. So when I bought my Mini9 recently instead of using itunes and adding mp3 files to my tiny HD, I simply use Last Fm to play a radio station that only plays music from my itunes library.

mini9 | 8Gb | 1Gb | 10.5.6

« Snow Leopard to support iCloud.... | IYHO - Which one is OK browser? List your preference »