General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Expert Member

Default Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-06-2009, 01:47 AM

I have created a new version of Dell Mini Boot123 that is back to the basics: http://mydellmini.googlecode.com/files/ ... 01.iso.zip

Changes in this release:

- Graphical menu with all the confusing options is gone
- GPARted is gone (sorry for those who liked it but I am sure you can get it back if you really want it) I took it out as it bloated the Dell Mini Boot ISO to well beyound 130MB... and very few people will use it anyway.
- Included DellEFI 1.03 instead of slightly buggy 1.0

Give it a try and please report any issues.

The text menu is much more predictable and will allow for easier troubleshooting of new users issues.

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-06-2009, 01:50 AM

On Dell EFI 1.01, mute doesn't work for me (it worked on EFI 1.0 I believe but not 100% sure, but it definetely worked on v7.9)

Dell Mini 9 - Alpine White, 16 GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard (Type11 method)
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-06-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRocks
On Dell EFI 1.01, mute doesn't work for me (it worked on EFI 1.0 I believe but not 100% sure, but it definetely worked on v7.9)
Try this:

1. delete /dsdt.aml
2. boot from Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01
3. run DellEFI 1.03 from Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 (in DellMini9Utils) and do a "Custom Install" making sure you select "Generate a system specific dsdt.aml" option.
4. Install, reboot
5. Check if mute work again.

Mute is working fine for me. It is most likelly some lingering issues with your dsdt.aml. Doing the above won't hurt.

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-06-2009, 01:59 AM

Sorry but where exactly do I find dsdt.aml and what do you mean by "boot from Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01"

Thanks for your help, you are awesome!

Dell Mini 9 - Alpine White, 16 GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.6 Leopard (Type11 method)
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRocks
Sorry but where exactly do I find dsdt.aml and what do you mean by "boot from Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01"

Thanks for your help, you are awesome!
Boot from the new ISO linked in the post above ;-)

dsdt.aml is in the root of your SSD. Open a terminal window and type:

sudo rm /dsdt.aml

And it will be gone. Reboot and run DellEFI again to generate a fresh dsdt.aml... forget about what I said above about booting from the ISO... not needed as booting into OSX after deleting dsdt.aml will work just fine too ;-)

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-06-2009, 02:19 AM

It worked thanks!

(#7) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-07-2009, 02:42 AM

So what's the upgrade procedure I'm running v8.0 which is running fine, except About this Mac report the CPU as 1.6GHZ Unknown.
Is it just the case of openning the iso & running the DellEFI.app in auto mode??
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-07-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
So what's the upgrade procedure I'm running v8.0 which is running fine, except About this Mac report the CPU as 1.6GHZ Unknown.
Is it just the case of openning the iso & running the DellEFI.app in auto mode??
Exactly... but this update won't fix your issue... so no need to update to this version.

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-08-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaltais
I have created a new version of Dell Mini Boot123 that is back to the basics: http://mydellmini.googlecode.com/files/ ... 01.iso.zip
This is my first attempt to install OSX on my Mini after reading as many post as I can found here..... I'm using the TYPE 11 approach (v8.01) with 2 USB sticks. Can anyone point me to the right direction on the following errors??

1) when I exact the ISO and put it on the USB stick, there are many duplicated list files and asking me if it is OK to REPLACE? For example: there are many "InfoPlist.strings" file with different size but same filename in "rr_moved\Resources\English.lproj\". I went ahead and replace the file with the file that is LARGEST in file size since all the data/time is the same. I'm using 7zip on a PC to extract the files, did I do this wrong?

2) error on booting the resulting usb stick with this error:
system config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found
Where should I have this file?? I can't find this in the v8.01 or v8.0 or even v7.x ISO. But I think this file should be on the OSX INSTALL DVD. Maybe I must have a single stick for TYPE 11 boot and the OSX install DVD?

3) I can still go ahead with the install using -v -f on my 10.5.6 retail DVD restored on a 2nd usb stick. It completed and restarted. I restart with -v -f again and run "\DellMini9Utils\DellEFI.app", I got the error "could not install extensions, error 1" at "update extra kext cache". Should I get this error? I go ahead and click on "QUIT" and the install go ahead and finish the rest.

4) I let the install complete and MINI restarted. Now, if I let it boot normally, I will get a white screen with an apple in the middle.... a spinning timing icon say it is loading but it will load forever, like for an hour. I can force power off and start with "-v" then the MINI will boot into OSX fine. But if I do not use "-v" to boot, the booting will stop after 30 seconds into the booting, which I think the same thing the white screen hangs.

Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry for the long post. I'm excited to get this far but I don't think I am doing it right.....
Andy

 Mini 1011 | N280/A05 | OSX 10.6.5 (NBI 0.8.5Pre), WIN 7 Pro | 2G RAM | 250G HD | BT
 MacBookPro2011 | OSX 10.6.7 | 4G RAM | 500 HD
  (#10) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Dell Mini Boot 123 v8.01 - 02-08-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykwg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaltais
This is my first attempt to install OSX on my Mini after reading as many post as I can found here..... I'm using the TYPE 11 approach (v8.01) with 2 USB sticks. Can anyone point me to the right direction on the following errors??

1) when I exact the ISO and put it on the USB stick, there are many duplicated list files and asking me if it is OK to REPLACE? For example: there are many "InfoPlist.strings" file with different size but same filename in "rr_moved\Resources\English.lproj\". I went ahead and replace the file with the file that is LARGEST in file size since all the data/time is the same. I'm using 7zip on a PC to extract the files, did I do this wrong?

2) error on booting the resulting usb stick with this error:
system config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found
Where should I have this file?? I can't find this in the v8.01 or v8.0 or even v7.x ISO. But I think this file should be on the OSX INSTALL DVD. Maybe I must have a single stick for TYPE 11 boot and the OSX install DVD?

3) I can still go ahead with the install using -v -f on my 10.5.6 retail DVD restored on a 2nd usb stick. It completed and restarted. I restart with -v -f again and run "\DellMini9Utils\DellEFI.app", I got the error "could not install extensions, error 1" at "update extra kext cache". Should I get this error? I go ahead and click on "QUIT" and the install go ahead and finish the rest.

4) I let the install complete and MINI restarted. Now, if I let it boot normally, I will get a white screen with an apple in the middle.... a spinning timing icon say it is loading but it will load forever, like for an hour. I can force power off and start with "-v" then the MINI will boot into OSX fine. But if I do not use "-v" to boot, the booting will stop after 30 seconds into the booting, which I think the same thing the white screen hangs.

Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry for the long post. I'm excited to get this far but I don't think I am doing it right.....
Andy
Try booting from the USB Type11 stick again and boot into your 10.5.6 install then try running DellEFI again.

Apparently something went wrong with the extensions folder... not sure what.

Make sure you do a custom installation and that the Install Dell Mini 9 check box is selected.

Reboot and things should hopefully work.

Dell Mini 9
8GB SSD, 1GB RAM
OS X 10.5.6

« Adding a kext to /Extra | INSTALLING HACKINTOSH ON DELL MINI - bootloader problems »