General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default System config for Mini 9 OSX - 02-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Noob here, but I think I'm going to give this a whirl...

Configuring the Mini 9 specifically to do an OS X install:
  • Ubunta OS[/*:m:21jcuz8a]
  • 512MB RAM (upgrade to 2GB third party)[/*:m:21jcuz8a]
  • 64GB SSD ($150 upgrade cost over 4GB, slower but cheaper than RunCore)[/*:m:21jcuz8a]
  • No Camera[/*:m:21jcuz8a]
  • No Bluetooth[/*:m:21jcuz8a]
  • $449[/*:m:21jcuz8a]

Looks o.k.??
  (#2) Old
Default Re: System config for Mini 9 OSX - 02-05-2009, 06:40 AM

On Jan 25 I gave myself a bday present, ordered my Mac netbook-to-be. The dedication and thoroughness of the community here is stirring (I speak as a former dev) and downright inspirational. So on that day I ordered. My config:

1.3M Pixel Webcam
Order Subtotal: $374.00

I also ordered the RunCore 64GB and picked up 2GB extra RAM ($28.16 w/s&h). I know the RunCore won't arrive 'til whenever, so I figured I should get in line asap.

Dell said they'd ship Feb 3, 8 days post-order. Rec'd notice today that it's delayed 'til Feb 11, 16 days post-order. I mention the delivery delay so you don't hold your breath, it's bad enough that I'm holding mine!
  (#3) Old
Default Re: System config for Mini 9 OSX - 02-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Save yourself some $$ and get a refurb from Dell. There are frequently 20% off coupon codes floating around the interwebs (and often posted on this site). Get the smallest memory and drive you can. With the money you save over buying new, you can upgrade the memory and SSD after market and both are very easy to do.

My 2 cents...

Former owner of... (sold through this site)
Dell Mini 9
Other Mods - 2Gb RAM, RunCore "64"Gb SSD, Dell Wireless 1505 b/g/n, Dell Bluetooth, US "Int'l" Keyboard
  (#4) Old
Default Re: System config for Mini 9 OSX - 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM

In what section does one normally find such coupons being posted? The Dell Mini 9 General Discussion?

Hacbook Mini, 16 gig, 2 gig
  (#5) Old
Default Re: System config for Mini 9 OSX - 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM

I went refurb, I got:

I had 2GB RAM already laying around so I threw that in - said and done, after rebates, cost me $270.

The computer itself was in perfect condition, no issues. It was my first refurb, obviously I typically prefer new, but this was great

Dell Mini 9 White | 2 GB RAM | 16GB STEC | 1.3 Camera | OS X 10.5.6.
  (#6) Old
Default Re: System config for Mini 9 OSX - 02-05-2009, 06:36 PM

I got the same refurb. Looked like new. only way I could tell was the not as fancy packaging and the "Thanks for Shopping the Dell Outlet" sticker on the bottom. Got my 64GB RunCore and 2GB Memory from MDD. The computer was here the same week along with the memory. The drive.....a little longer, but worth the wait. I keep the original SSD in a jewelry box wrapped up safe and sound in case I ever need to do some Windows stuff. 6 screws and about a minute to do the swap. Never had to do it since running OS X though....

Dell Mini 9 / 2GB RAM / RunCore 64GB SSD / Mac OS X 10.6.3 - NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 - BIOS A02

« Cant fresh install | DellEFI v1.01 final »