General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Send a message via MSN to Brynjaminjones
Default OS X on External Hard Drive? - 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM

I've read on the internet that it's possible to run OS X off an external hard drive. I'm really tempted to do this, as I want OS X but want to keep XP. Is it possible, and if so how can it be done. Also, if it can be done, would I need to use a Mac at any point to do it? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My Mini: Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 16gb SSD, 8gb SDHC, 2gb RAM, 1.3mp Webcam, Bluetooth, White Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse, Windows 7 Ultimate
  (#2) Old
Default Re: OS X on External Hard Drive? - 02-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Haven't done this on the Mini yet, but it's worked fine on "real" Macs for decades. All you need to do is have an external drive plugged in when you run the installer. Just point the installer at that other drive when asked for an install location and set it on its way. The only thing I can think of where you'd need to be extra careful is when running the Miniscript--make sure the disk# it's using is the right one for the USB drive.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: OS X on External Hard Drive? - 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM

I loaded it on a 16gb flash drive. I used the disk utility to partition and format the drive as a mac extended journaled first. It seemed to work fine I didn't use it much before I let it auto update and it doesn't allow me to use the keyboard now.

« Which GMA 950 Driver? | wireless problems? »